Become our sponsor and display your banner here

My first HJ Messer

Article about: Hi guys, just got my first HJ Messer, it's a pretty rough piece, but early, and by a rarer maker(Wilhelm Halbach). I kinda wish I could see the motto, but I'm pretty pleased with having a ni

?

Default My first HJ Messer

Hi guys, just got my first HJ Messer, it's a pretty rough piece, but early, and by a rarer maker(Wilhelm Halbach). I kinda wish I could see the motto, but I'm pretty pleased with having a nice early example. I'd like to get a diamond for it, but I want to get the thumbs up on this knife before I do. I feel 95% good about it though. It's almost completely missing the chrome on it, except for the very top of finger guard.

Here's some pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	316372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	316373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	316374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1131.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	316375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	316376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	316377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	316378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1130.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	316379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1129.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	316380

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My first HJ Messer

I dunno? It has the HJ rivets, which are different from the Boy Scout knives. But its missing the HJ style ricasso, unless its been shaved down. It is certainly in rough shape, missing the leather band, diamond, finish, and scabbard. It also has been sharpened alot!
    I would personally save a little bit more money and try to get a complete one. I understand how it is not to have alot to spend on items, but you will be much happier in the end if you get one in a bit better shape my friend. But hey, if its really cheap and what you want, its up to you! Good luck and congrats on seeking your first HJ knife!
    Hopefully someone can give more info tho, as it should have a raised ricasso.

Below is an earlier HJ knife with no ricasso - but the rough
    one above has lost it's buffer pad.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB222925.jpg 
Views:	8930 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	316398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB222926.jpg 
Views:	1093 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	316399  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB202927.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	316400  
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Oh wow, thanks for sharing Steve! Shes a beauty! Good to know about the absence of ricasso

?

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    I dunno? It has the HJ rivets, which are different from the Boy Scout knives. But its missing the HJ style ricasso, unless its been shaved down. It is certainly in rough shape, missing the leather band, diamond, finish, and scabbard. It also has been sharpened alot!
    I would personally save a little bit more money and try to get a complete one. I understand how it is not to have alot to spend on items, but you will be much happier in the end if you get one in a bit better shape my friend. But hey, if its really cheap and what you want, its up to you! Good luck and congrats on seeking your first HJ knife!
    Hopefully someone can give more info tho, as it should have a raised ricasso.
    Hi Bill, thanks for verifying the rivets, I didn't know to look for them. As Walkwolf says below, the really early ones didn't have a ricasso, and they had a much thinner blade. I'm looking into getting a diamond for this knife to complete it, but I feel ok with it not having a scabbard, and I'm pretty partial to the rough appearance. I like thinking about some really rough kid being super excited about his knife and sharpening it and throwing it all over and losing parts, kinda like how I would have treated my Messer if I'd gotten one back then.
    Best,
    Eddie
    P.S. My GF bought some single photos from you to surprise me for my birthday, and she said you were very nice and helpful, so thanks for helping to make my birthday so nice this year!

?

Its a genuine early thin blade no ricasso knife (1934-1936)
    its been denazified and in very bad shape, not a collectable piece for the advanced collector imo.
    If you want to buy it then 25 dollar will do i guess.

but if your happy with the shape its in, then you have a havily used been there Original HJ knife

Cheers,
    Ger