Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

My HJ Knife!

Article about: Hi Guys, I just wanted to show you my Carl Eickhorn HJ Knife that I restored (or something like that). In hindsight I probably should have left it alone for all I know it was a “war relic” b

Default My HJ Knife!

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to show you my Carl Eickhorn HJ Knife that I restored (or something like that). In hindsight I probably should have left it alone for all I know it was a “war relic” but “what’s done is done” and I enjoy having it and what I learned from it. Besides the Knifemaker in me would eventually do it anyway!

I found it a flea market for $20.00. The emblem was missing, blade tip broken, it was badly pitted and handle was cracked. I took the whole thing apart and started cleaning it up. I used a very good epoxy to repair the cracks in the handle, reground and sharpened the blade. I found what I thought was a decent replica HJ pine re-cut the inlay and glued it in place. There was a gap between the ricasso and the guard so I removed the blade from the handle and refit it. I have since learned the gap was probably for a piece of leather that would protect the guard from the scabbard. I took a scabbard from a replica and resized it and beat it up a little. I have yet to attach a belt loop but I may just leave it go. I made and installed some “dummy” nickel silver pins in the handle that resembled the originals at lest some what.

The end result is what you see in the pictures. I wish I would have taken some photos of the process. I could have done a lot more but wanted to at least preserve some of its original character. I know it’s not a valuable piece but its serves its purpose for me and I only have about $30-40 dollars in the whole thing. I enjoyed doing this one and hopefully will get to do a few more may be even a SA dagger in the future.

Thanks for looking!

Kirby
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My HJ Knife!   My HJ Knife!  

My HJ Knife!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My HJ Knife!
    P
    Many

Default Re: My HJ Knife!

better looking than it was thats for sure but some might beg to differ!

Thanks Ewan!

Kirby

?

Kirby yes it looks much better than the condition you found it in but i would have restored it back with a genuine hj daimond & rivits, can you show a pic of the makers stamp on the blade please.
    Regards Scott.

Hi Scott, your right original parts would have been the way to go. If I ever do another one I'll definitely go that way.
    Here is the picture of the makers mark.
    Thanks
    Kirby
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My HJ Knife!