Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinions on HJ Knife

Article about: Hey guys, I picked this up today at a flea market for 100\\$. I can always return it to the vendor if it is a fake but I feel good about this one, but HJ knives are not my thing so I can alway

?

Default Need opinions on HJ Knife

Hey guys, I picked this up today at a flea market for 100$. I can always return it to the vendor if it is a fake but I feel good about this one, but HJ knives are not my thing so I can always be wrong. Motto is partially visible which is a positive, but she is rough. Rzm is difficult its M7/something 1937 its really hard to see, looks like a 7,2, and 3 at the same time lol. What do you guys overall think?
    Thanks Again
    Ryan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need opinions on HJ Knife   Need opinions on HJ Knife  

Need opinions on HJ Knife   Need opinions on HJ Knife  

Need opinions on HJ Knife  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on HJ Knife
    P
    Many

?

Hi Ryan,

The knife is a repro with what looks to be a genuine scabbard & added hj insignia.

does the scabbard leather hanger have made in Germany stamped on the rear ?, if not its a genuine scabbard & worth $100 on its own, can you show a close up pic of the diamond ?

Mac 66.

?

Thanks for your response mac, ill try to get a picture tomm. How can you tell its a fake? And there is no stamping on the rear, all there is, is a name carved in it.
    Thanks
    Ryan

Hi Ryan, im afraid mac is right. The first thing to note about any youth knife is the motto and the makers mark/rzm is never on the same side. Also the motto isn't acid etched.

The scabbard may be good or bad. Its not uncommon for 'people' to grind the lip off a repro scabbard and respray it. Ive seen two done this way in the last year at auction houses.
    IMO the scabbard has been resprayed so this to me is the first sign of tampering.

Somebody has done well getting that 'aged' look to the blade, so don't feel bad its an easy mistake.

all the best matty

The blade doesnt have that fat look towards the tip..the whole blade is straight and narrow..top and bottom. Nice to see you here Ryan Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Matty your statement: The first thing to note about any youth knife is the motto and the makers mark/rzm is never on the same side.
    isnt correct IMO, in fact there are at least 2 makers who have the maker mark on the motto side.
    Boths forums GDC & WR showed a few and found them genuine.
    Not often seen indeed, and normally a red flag, but not Always fake.

Ger

?

Matty look at this one, although the Motto was already abandoned late in 1936 this one is dual maker marked, with Motto and RZM logo on the same side and dated 1938....and im sure its an Original Klaas, JR knows his daggers.
    and 1 point that a lot of collectors misinterpret is the fact that the diamond should never line up with the grip lines, this sure is right when looking at the early and mid size Diamonds, but the big Late RZM diamond sure lines up pretty well, for example the late Eickhorn HJ knife has the griplines almost perfect in line with the diamond.
    Cheers,
    Ger
    Need opinions on HJ KnifeNeed opinions on HJ KnifeNeed opinions on HJ Knife

Possibly a period left over reissued.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill