Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion

Article about: Show us current HJ knives by past producers..being produced today. Regards Larry Members are invited to input any maker background inf they have on these. Photos are top to bottom (maker mar

Lightbulb Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion

Show us current HJ knives by past producers..being produced today. Regards Larry

Members are invited to input any maker background inf they have on these.

Photos are top to bottom (maker marks) in the group photo from right to left.
    The last photo at very bottom shows the most noticed difference in HJ diamond size from the WW2 type and the postwar made type by some of the same designers later in their fine careers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001-3-1-1.jpg 
Views:	3725 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	662966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001-2.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	662967  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002-1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	662968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003-1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	662969  

Name:	DSC_0004-1.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	662970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140319_123134-1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	662971  

Name:	DSC_0001-1.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	662972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140319_124724.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	662974  

Name:	DSC_0001-3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	662975  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default PIC logo (photo #3 from top) Maker History

During the 30 Years War (1618-1648) Jurgen Herder began tempering swords. In 1650 he diversified to produce knives, most for export to Dutch markets. To make his models unique he registered the "Pic-As" trademark in 1727. Now the oldest trademark in Solingen. Fork Brand was introduced in the Maylay Archipelago. In 1850 expanded into South America and Southern Europe. The "Constant" mark implemented in 1927 after stainless steel in 1925. Don Carlos Brand in 1931, and new markets in 1955. Grab a cold "Kolsch" Herder is currently based in Solingen since 1995.

Not sure if this was a war time maker, but here's my Scout knife
    Regards
    René

The older ones with proper Solingen blades were a very good blade. Many were taken in and rehandled with the cub scout logo (not just in the States). I think there were two sizes of blade and handle as my mate has one that was obviously rehandled (only with the kids size handle). It was his fathers when he was in the scouts (early '50's) . The handles weren't the most comfortable and the checkering was too big for childrens hands, which is why I suspect many boys would have opted for the Rodgers Bowie with stacked leather. Also German stuff would have been (unfairly) regarded as inferior equipment in those days. I would love one for a rehandling project, but I think they might command decent prices these days.

The paragraph above is from a member at a forum that I am registered on. It is a helpful viewpoint but does not actually represent my own opinions.

Yes, yours is a post-war HJ style German Scouting knife and genuine for sure. The side that has the letter code on the ricasso tells the "troop" division where your scout knife was designated for. There are more that will have that same letter code.

No war era type say "Germany" in English because Nazi's spoke german and Hitler made decree not to have foriegn infulence or be taken to concentration camp.

Great testimony to the quality standards of the RZM, seeing all these postwar ricaso stamps uneven, incomplete, and generally sloppy or even illegible.

But one postwar invention/inovation I DO like is the baby HJ Messer. This smaller size is very practical, I've had many on my travels and used them for slicing tomatoes, etc. where the regular size HJ knife might have caused a bit of unwanted attention. The Rostfrei blade is nice too, tho it doesn't keep an edge quite as long as the regular steel of original HJ blades. Could someone post a picture of the 2 sizes together for comparison.

Quote by der alte oberst View Post
    Great testimony to the quality standards of the RZM, seeing all these postwar ricaso stamps uneven, incomplete, and generally sloppy or even illegible.
    Here's my HJ RZM that's sloppy
    Regards
    René

Thanks for posting. That's a maker I haven't seen. Probably didn't make many before this one so didn't get the die-stamp fine-tuned yet.

The RZM wartime HJ knife is really only for comparison to the topic I have posted so try to stay on this subject. If you like you may post new makers of German Scouting Movement HJ style types that are not sloppy and have never been with any Nazi approval in earlier career.

The "sloppy" makers marks just shows that "nobody perfect" and stuff happens that will distract your attention away from your work. We are all sensitive people.

Show some of the different blade shapes (ex. Buffalo Skinner) type of post-war HJ style scouting knives!

Sorry to go off subject
    Regards
    René

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast