Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bavarian Belt buckle and tab

Article about: Hey guys, I bought this belt buckle and tab last week for \\$75, I dont think its a bad price. The leather tab is stamped 1916 with a manufacturer. The belt itself is stamped 2TB 1900, I have

Default Bavarian Belt buckle and tab

Hey guys,

I bought this belt buckle and tab last week for $75, I dont think its a bad price. The leather tab is stamped 1916 with a manufacturer. The belt itself is stamped 2TB 1900, I have no idea what this means, and I dont have a clue whether the belt belongs to the ensemble. The leather seems to be close to the tab though. Also, I think the bullet loops may be post war application, because I never heard of soldiers using them in ww1! The way they are fastened is by inserting a pin, that has two "prongs" that are pushed out underneath.... Looking at the pictures will probably be easier. I would like to see other peoples comments. Thanks for looking!
    Quinn

Bavarian Belt buckle and tabBavarian Belt buckle and tabBavarian Belt buckle and tabBavarian Belt buckle and tabBavarian Belt buckle and tabBavarian Belt buckle and tabBavarian Belt buckle and tabBavarian Belt buckle and tabBavarian Belt buckle and tab

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bavarian Belt buckle and tab
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Bavarian Belt buckle and tab

Hello
    I think it's 2nd Train Bataillon
    cordially
    Didier

THanks Didier. Do you have any information on that unit? There doesnt seem to be much on the net. Also, what do you think about the bullet loops?

Thanks,
    Quinn

Quinn

I agree with Didier on the unit marking.

A Train Battalion was a supply unit.

The Bavarian 2nd Train Battalion or Kgl. Bayer. 2. Train-Abteilung was attached to the Bavarian 2nd Army Corps and was based at Wurzburg in peacetime

The Corps was part of the 6th Army under Crown Prince Ruprecht which fought on the Western Front throughout the war.

I think the cartridge loops are a post war addition.

Regards

Richie

Matthew, to muddy the waters....Richie is probably correct re/marking, however another thing to consider with regards to the markings, is the fact that the Bavarian Army, always at odds with the way the Prussians did things (to remain automonous), usually Regimentaly marking their property the opposite way round to the norm, i.e. J.R.2. as opposed to the Prussian 2.J.R. (J.R. = Infantry Regiment), also the Regimentals at this time for a Train Battalion would be "T.2" for Train Battalion 2 or another marking would be "Train. Abt.2." my understanding was that "T.B.2" would be for " Feldbaeckerekolonne des Train-Bataillons 2" (Field Bakery Column attached to Train Battalion 2 ) this is a pre 1914 marking, so given the date on your belt this could apply,you have to remember that the Train Battalions were not only responsible for transporting supplies but also producing supplies especially foodstuffs, even down to farming ! Heres a Train Battalion marking on a pair of garrison trousers....however "Regimentals" had a habit of not being marked in the regulation way ! The ammo holders are definately a post war addition.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bavarian Belt buckle and tab  
    Last edited by oradour; 08-29-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks Richie and Steve! So the belt is pre 1914, but the tab and buckle are 1916?? And would they mark it train battalion or train abteilung?
    Thanks again for the help, I really had no idea if the belt belonged

Matthew, who knows when the belt and buckle came together......IMO as the belt is dated 1900 the mark is for the " Feldbaeckerekolonne des Train-Bataillons 2" (field Bakery column attached to Train Battalion 2).......and that it is a Prussian belt not Bavarian. Only my opinion though..... Prussian Train Battalion 2 is the "Pommersches Train-Bataillon Nr.2" garrisoned at Altdamm, and part of II Armee Korps.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Quote by oradour View Post
    the Bavarian Army, always at odds with the way the Prussians did things (to remain automonous), usually Regimentaly marking their property the opposite way round to the norm, i.e. J.R.2. as opposed to the Prussian 2.J.R. (J.R. = Infantry Regiment)
    Steve,

It is actually the exact opposite. Bavarians used the 2.J.R. while a non-Bavarian marking would be something like J.R.23.

CCMJR

CCMJR....Of course !!! how stupid of me ! outset of early dementia I think.....Thanks for pointing out my glaring mistake......my brain must not of been working that day, good job your always show up to put me straight.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

I knew you had just gotten them mixed up, but I wanted to make the correction just in case someone would read it and get a false impression.

Best regards,
    CCMJR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast