Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

Default Imperial or NSDAP ?

Imperial or NSDAP ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

Default Imperial or NSDAP ?

!!

Regards,

David

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Hi David, I'm sorry but I don't understand, Cheers, Richard.

I think Herr North is refering to the catches !...... Ja.
    A trio of fine SA buckles, oh so NSDAP.

Sorry for being a little cryptic Richard. In my Neanderthal sort of way, I was trying to show how an Imperial collector could be mislead in thinking that these three buckles as face down and by reverse characteristics, were naturally Imperial. Turn them over and we can see them for what they are - SA ! So many very early NSDAP buckles and especially the SA's, used "new" roundels on cannibalised Imperial boxes.

Regards,

David

Hi David, oh I get it now. I thought a lot of early NSDAP/SA buckles were made that way. Quite logical I suppose to use up old buckle bodies like that. See there was even recycling back then!!!! Top class buckles by the way, Cheers, Richard.

bodkin
    ?

Quote by oradour View Post
    bodkin, super bayonet, in extremly good condition, if you dont already know, heres some info on the markings, apologies if you are already aware !....Bayonet :- R.8.37. is for command (no company # inscribed) of the Lieb-Grenadier-Regt Konig Friederich Wilhelm III ( 1 Bradenburgisches) Nr 8. garrisoned at Frankfurt am Oder, and part of the III Army Corps. Weapon number 37. The scabbard :- 131.R.E.3.165. is for 131 Ersatz (substitute) Regiment, (of the 2nd lothringisches Infanterie-Regt Nr 131 garrisoned in Strasburg i.E. and part of XXI Army Corps). 3rd Company, weapon number 165. Hope that helps. I just love Imperial 'regimentally' marked items, something that rarely happened on Third Reich items !..it all adds to the history of the item and of course makes its history somewhat traceable.

Oradour, thank you very much for the information.

Hi Chaps, I thought I'd post my latest Saxon buckle (sadly not unit marked; but you can't have everything). As you can see it's a G.H. Osang of Dresden made in 1915 of the soft alloy pewter. This was probably an experiment design trying to save the use of brass for shells before the move onto steel in 1916. As with most of this failed design the metal catch has bent/torn being too soft and the brass belt hook has pushed through the front. Interestingly the leather tab is made from pebbled leather as used with the G98 ammo pouches,

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Richard, interesting buckle...just goes to show that even early on the war, the Germans were looking at ways in which to save material, as the Allied blockade began to bite !

Hi Oradour, Thanks. All pewter buckles I've seen date from 1915. Still very early in the war; but the Germans must have been concerned about their resources even @ that date. Of course it was steel from 1916 onwards. I suppose pewter was used as it's a soft alloy & easy to press where as steel would have needed heavier presses. Here's some pics of a steel Prussian with a pewter roundal.

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast