Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

?

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Hi Adam... while you're waiting for Peter Nash's book I can tell you that he shows 3 types of this Bavarian... brass with nickel centre, all brass, and a grey painted steel.... I've had brass badges in the past with a white residue in the cracks & crannies which was simply traces of old brass polish.... ? Cheers... Hansi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

Thanks again for the help guys and for that info, Hansi. It must be just some polish residue or other grit then.

Best,
    Adam

Quote by aechols83 View Post
    Did these ever have silver wash applied to the roundels?
    Hi Adam, I'm really dubious about any painted roundals. I'm not sure if they're right or not; but I would steer clear, Cheers, Richard.

Adam, yes, I believe they would have had a silver wash applied when manufactured...I have a Wurttemburg buckle with the same look as the Bavarian buckle shown, the wash has long gone, leaving only residue in the nooks and crannies !
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi, guys. Excitingly this buckle arrived in the mail today, a standard M1895 Prussian with a small dent to the crown/roundel.
    I know there are many differing opinions amongst collectors as to whether or not to clean items or leave them alone. It seems that it boils down to the subjective tastes and values of the individual collector and that most reasonable people respect that. I personally feel comfortable doing this with certain buckles and believe it can potentially enhance the value, historical and otherwise.
    Having said all of that and because I only spent $30 on this, I decided to (in my view) "restore" this buckle, perhaps returning it to a condition of former original glory, which I do not mean to suggest is "better" than an glorified aged-look.
    Anyways, here first are three "before" and then two "after" photos. Of course any and all comments are most welcome and appreciated.

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.  

?

Nice buckle Adam... although I personally prefer to leave things as they are (a romantic notion that maybe that's how the buckle looked when lost, discarded, or taken from the original owner...) I can also see the appeal of adding a bit of 'spit & polish' to certain items. As you say, it all comes down to the individual and their taste. I think you've done a good job on this buckle though... just enough, and I think the small dent helps retain its individual character. All in all a very nice buckle at a great price.... thanks for showing it, cheers, Hansi

Hi Adam, nice buckle As for cleaning, I tend to leave them as they are unless they're getting corroded. I have cleaned a couple. One tombak buckle had gone black & spotty so I cleaned the front of it. I wouldn't clean the back of buckles as they never would have been cleaned anyway. P.S. you've cleaned it very sympathetically & it still looks really good, Cheers, Richard.

Hi, guys and thanks for the replies
    Richard, I'm curious as to the method you use when you do choose to clean a buckle....
    As for me with this buckle, I first soaked it in a solution of warm water and a very small amount of Renaissance Metal De-Corroder which helps to brighten and lift the stubborn grime. I only left it in this solution for about 30 minutes as there was no real corrosion and checked on it periodically, brushing lightly a few times with a soft toothbrush. I then rinsed it thoroughly in cold water which stops the de-corroding process. I then gave it a very light once-over brushing with the soft toothbrush and a solution of warm water and Vulpex liquid soap. Finally after rinsing, drying with a soft cloth and blow dryinging it thoroughly I applied an extremely small amount of Renaissance wax and buffed it lightly.
    I only feel comfortable doing this in certain cases with nickel, steel and brass buckles and I wouldn't ever consider doing this with any kind of painted or silver washed buckle or one that was more expensive and not exceptionally dirty.
    Anyways, thanks again for the replies!

Best,
    Adam

Hi Adam, here's some pics of the tombak buckle I cleaned. The black mark on the back (by the solder) was all over the front. I use/used Brasso metal polish wadding by Duraglit & polished the front gently by hand. I must admit I've never heard of Renaissance Metal De-Corroder. It may only be available in the U.S.; but it certainly gives a nice result when used carefully as you did. I agree with you that you need to make a judgment weather to clean or not & this decision is down to the collector. But I learned by experience to be very cautious, Cheers, Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Hi, Richard. Great buckle and looks like it was a very good cleaning job you did. I really love the look of that shiny tombak. The Renaissance Metal De-Corroder is made by Picreator, the makers of Renaissance Wax and should be available to you lots of places. I'll have to look into the cleaning Duraglit product as it looks like it really did the job nicely.

Best,
    Adam

Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 ... LastLast