Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Quote by aechols83 View Post
    Okay, so here are the photos of the latest two buckles I referred to above. I misstated earlier, the first buckle is, I believe an 1845 model and the 2nd is the M1895. Is it odd that the solder points don't appear to be filled in much on the M1845 buckle?

Thanks for any and all help
    Best,
    Adam
    Hi Adam, check out www.das-koppelschloss.de He's got a good database & some great items for sale, Cheers, Richard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

Thanks, Richard. That's a good link and some very nice buckles for sale. Here is a buckle I saw recently and was considering. After searching through our database here (unless I missed something) I couldn't find a similar buckle reverse with this style of catch or method of affixing the roundel. I have not done any other web searches as of yet, but I thought I'd post it here to see what you guys thought. The buckle looks pretty authentic to me, just not a reverse I have encountered as of yet. I apologize that the photos are perhaps of a less than ideal quality.

Thanks for any info or comments on this one!
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Attached Images Attached Images Imperial German Buckles. 

I almost forgot to post this...my newest Imperial purchase, a Model 1916 for $28.00 all incl. on ebay. I love that it retains a lot of it's original paint to the obverse and is pretty clean.
    Interestingly, I appears more olive green to the front and gray on the reverse.

Any comments or opinions are, of course, most welcome and appreciated
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Hi Adam, the bottom buckle is fine. A nice late war example. The first one is a bit odd. I'm not sure if it's right or not; but I personally don't like these buckles with bent back clips on the roundel. Also, it looks broken as there isn't a fitting for the belt hook, Cheers, Richard.

Hi, I picked up my first ever ww1 buckle last saturday. It's brass with nickel? roundel with crown and gott mit uns on the roundel. The roll pin is missing unfortunately, were these and the prongs in brass or steel? It has been painted in the past with a very hard matt balck enamel of which some traces still remain, where they painted to stop reflection? Cheers, Roland.

Hi rolandm, please can you post some pics. Difficult to judge without them, Cheers, Richard.

Hi, here are a couple of pics of my buckle, I'd like to know if the roll bar and pin were brass and if the prongs were brazed onto the brass tube also was the brass tube a full tube or split down its length as were the steel types. One last question, what is the diam of the brass tube? I intend to have one made up to complete the buckle and wear it. Many thanks, Roland.

Hi Roland, the buckle is original; but the paint job is very odd. Brass/nickel buckles weren't normally painted, they were just left to go dirty & tarnished when 'in the field'. It's probably a post war job; but it's up to you if you remove it, although I would. The roll bar and pins should be brass and the prongs were brazed onto the brass tube that has a brazed split down its length. The long pin holding it in place can be brass or steel. Look further back in the thread for examples. This would be very difficult to make unless of course you've got the skills. It would be better, maybe, to use one from a broken or repro buckle, Cheers, Richard.

Roland....you would be better off leaving the buckle as it is, (other than cleaning the black paint off, which by the way, is not an original finish) and purchasing a complete buckle, they are not expensive.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

My very thoughts too... much faster and probably cheaper in the long run to purchase a complete buckle, as you say Steve, they're not very expensive. Besides all of that, it would somehow seem a shame to add a modern part to a genuine buckle... Cheers, Hansi

Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast