Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Hi all, many thanks for your time and feedback. An old friend of mine has a small swiss lathe and is a retired engineer, what he can't make is unbelievable so he said he'd make up the parts I need for free. Can anyone tell em the diam and [possible wal thickness of the roll tube please. Once again many thanks for comments and help. Cheers, Roland.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts or opinions on this buckle I saw recently, simply described as an "Imperial Naval Buckle." It looks to me like a fake and I haven't seen one like this before. However, as I don't have much experience or a good reference for Imperials yet I'm not certain.

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.  

?

I've seen this one for 70 Euro on a well known site....Imperial German Buckles.

?

It's different from yours though... here's the back....Imperial German Buckles.

Hi Chaps, I don't know a thing about Navy buckles; but I must say the second one looks like a cast fake, Cheers, Richard.

?

Hi Guys... yes this second one, as I said, is actually on a very well known and respected site but it does look a bit of a 'blob'... it has actually been sold already but they're still displaying the picture. Although Adam's buckle looks better, the back reminds me of those fake horse-brasses that you see everywhere! I don't think I would want to invest my money in either of these... cheers, Hansi

Hi, I met the guy who sold me my buckle last week and he told me it had been found in a drainage system somewhere in Europe. God knows how long it had been there or even how it ended up there, anyway I decided to clean it up based on its provenance. Cheers, Roland.

Hi Chaps, I thought I'd post my latest. As you can see it's a nice original 1847 pattern Prussian buckle. Sadly I've had to give the front a 'parade' style clean (using HP sauce & Duraglit). I normally avoid cleaning buckles; but it had some nasty stains on the top edge where corrosion had caused copper to leach out of the brass. I'll now leave it out in the air to dull down a bit, Cheers, Richard.

P.S. - Excuse the 2nd pic of the front taken with a flash. It's horrible
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Last edited by DUJAILAH; 10-12-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: new pic

Richard, nice buckle, I am not averse to giving items a clean, especially if it returns the said item back to an original finish and puts a stop to any future problems/damage.... you did the right thing in order to stop the decline of the finish. I especially like the larger M47 buckles, but I have yet to obtain a leather belt to match !
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks steve, yeah I agree. I only clean if it's really necessary & try to do it sympathetically. It will interesting to see if the copper stain comes back. Hopefully not. As for the belt, I've never seen one for sale. They must be around somewhere. Just have to keep looking, cheers, Richard.

Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast