Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 69 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Hey, guys. A very nice looking buckle, Richard! We've discussed cleaning before and as you know I like to try and sympathetically remove more excessive dirt and grime from my buckles. It sounds the like problems were serious enough to warrant the cleaning or "restoration" as I prefer to call it. Do you by chance have "before" photos? You've mentioned the brasso Duraglit wadding but what is HP sauce? Please just remind me of the order of how you go about doing this when needed and how long it usually takes you. In my opinion it looks super and perhaps "restored" to it's original "new" look.

Best,
    Adam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

?

HP sauce is... ketchup in your part of the world...!!!

?

Not for the faint-hearted... if you place a blob of ketchup on a dirty old copper coin and leave it overnight... it almost eats through it, or at the very least removes all traces of writing, etc. from that side of the coin! There has been a long debate about what it actually does to your stomach... !

Hansi & Adam...HP, its a bottled brown/red spicy sauce with cleaning properties.....I prefer to use it on a "Full English" breakfast or a bacon butty !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

I used to eat it many years ago... wouldn't touch it with a barge pole now..

Hi Adam, here's a link for HP sauce HP Sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia When using HP sauce you need to be careful (as mentioned). I left it on for 4 hours. The vinegar in the sauce is what does the trick. You could dip the buckle in vinegar; but I used the sauce as I wanted to keep the treatment limited to specific areas where the corrosion was. It softens the stains & the copper goes pink. Then I just polished it off with Duraglit. Here's a link for it Brasso Duraglit Metal Polish Wadding 75g Britstore Sorry but I don't have any before photos. I only cleaned the front the back is untouched, Cheers, Richard.
    Last edited by DUJAILAH; 10-13-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Hi Chaps, just found this postcard in my collection of an 1847 buckle being worn. Oddly the 1847 is being worn on a thinner 1895 belt!!!, Cheers, Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.  

Richard, that soldat looks like he could be "Landwehr", and 47' pattern buckles were issued and worn during the Great War by both Landwehr and Landsturm units, I have seen this combination before and it is mentioned in Somers book on Imperial uniforms, infact my Bavarian 47' is displayed on the 95' belt.
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi Steve, yeah that all adds up. He looks the right age to be Landwehr or Landsturm, Cheers, Richard.

Hey, guys. Thanks for that interesting, informative bit on HP sauce and for the links, Richard. I will have to experiment with your process. In the meantime, here is my latest pick-up for $30, a M1895 "mit messing" (working on a little German!) I don't have it in hand yet, but not sure if the obverse has been cleaned or not. I wouldn't/won't touch this one

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 69 ... LastLast