Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Hi Adam, glad you liked the info. That's a nice 1895. It's got plenty of character. Yeah, I agree with you. I would leave this one well alone. To do anything to this one would just spoil it, Cheers, Richard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

On another forum the question was asked "Has anyone seen an original steel belt buckle that was only painted feldgrau on the outside? I recently saw an "unissued" Prussian buckle, and the back was unpainted. I thought that this was odd. However, after giving it some thought, I wonder if at the end of the war, in order to cut corners, this was actually done?" He posted no photos with his question but perhaps someone may have run across this or not.

Anton

Hi Anton, I've got about 10 Prussian steel buckles (have a look back in the thread) dating from 1916 to 1918. They are finished in many different ways; but usually the finish on the front is the same as the back. I've got one dated 1918 painted light grey on both sides. Saying that there is no standard finish for WW1 Prussian steel buckles so it could have happened. I'd like to see some pics as the paint could have been applied in the field as opposed to a factory finish. Sadly this doesn't really answer your question, Cheers, Richard.

Arrow Re: Imperial German Buckles.

Hi Chaps, here's my latest. It's a rare transitional (between brass & steel) Prussian made of pewter. As with all pewter buckles it's dated 1915, this time on the tab with the maker "W. BENECKI, ALTONA" which is near Hamburg. This is the first all pewter Prussian I've seen & there seems to be more Saxons in pewter around (see my Saxon one further back in the thread). It shows signs of wear on the back & as with all pewter buckles the catch is starting to tear slightly. This was the main reason why pewter buckle production was abandoned and buckles from 1916 were steel. Pewter was found to be far too soft a metal for the job. Oddly it looks like the 'ears' of the buckle have never been bent over even though there's a mark where they should have been (see pics), Cheers, Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.  
    Last edited by DUJAILAH; 10-21-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Richard, all respects but I have never encountered a German buckle with any Pewter components. Pewter is a very soft alloy which would never hold up to the rigors a serviceman's belt buckle went through.

Quote by habicht View Post
    Pewter is a very soft alloy which would never hold up to the rigors a serviceman's belt buckle went through.
    Hi habicht, that's exactly why production was abandoned after 1915. Pewter buckles were an experiment that failed, hence the reason why they are rare. Have a look Peter Nashs book page 95. His Saxon example shows just how useless they were, Cheers, Richard.

Richard, great pewter example, rare buckle !....just thought I would add the following, I know its not buckle related ! but I seem to have caught the bug from you Richard !...I have began to scour sources for postcards/photographs to support items in my collection, heres one I got recently, of men in a "Korporalschaften" (a section within a platoon) of the "Colbergsches-Grenadier-Regiment Graf Gneisenau (2. Pommersches) Nr.9 Stargard i Pomm. (II Armee Korps)" relaxing after fatigue duties (wearing blue tunics and white fatigue trousers) back in the garrison, dated August 1914....along with a shoulder strap from a "dunkelblau" tunic from that Regt, from my collection .....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.   Imperial German Buckles.  

Imperial German Buckles.  

Hi Steve, thanks, I was pleased to get the buckle. There's still some good stuff on ebay, you just got to wade through a load of crap!!! I'm glad you've caught the postcard bug. I think it really gives items context particularly if you display them. That's a great shoulder strap & postcard they look brilliant together I used to get my cards from a chap in Germany; but sadly I lost his details when my P.C. crashed (I back up now!!). He was a great source to have, Cheers, Richard.

Here's a couple of Mecklenburgers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Buckles.  

habicht, super buckles, nice to see the two versions of this already rare and expensive koppelschloss !
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast