Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 59 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 ... LastLast

Imperial German Buckles.

Article about: Next, 3 buckles with identical bodies but with different makers/sellers on the tabs. This design is by far my favourite. Really classy feel IMO. Each buckle is finished differently, one galv

?

Default Re: Imperial German Buckles.

my opinion is an old buckle, when the buckle is made, we will never know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Buckles.
    P
    Many

Noticed something interesting. This is a two piece all brass buckle, or at least I thought it was. But you can see the reverse side of the roundel underneath the catch opening. It looks like nickel. Were these washed with a brass color?

Imperial German Buckles.
    Imperial German Buckles.

Hello,

in my opinion, this buckle is a cheap version of private purchase which had originally a silver washed medaillon instead of a nickel silver one, as shown on better quality buckles

You can also find two piece buckles with brass medaillons that had never been silver washed, i do not know the reason why, maybe also for a question of price of the item

- - Updated - -

Hello,

in my opinion, this buckle is a cheap version of private purchase which had originally a silver washed medaillon instead of a nickel silver one, as shown on better quality buckles

You can also find two piece buckles with brass medaillons that had never been silver washed, i do not know the reason why, maybe also for a question of price of the item

Just picked up this two piece Prussian for a bargain. Was hoping the roundel was an alloy but its magnetic, so its a two piece steel, still a bit rarer than the typical 1916 model.

Imperial German Buckles.Imperial German Buckles.

Thoughts on this? Picked it up cheap thinking originally it was a two piece steel. The photos were deceiving. It's brass which has a layer of paint of some sort on it. You can see the bright yellow brass peaking out where the paint has chipped recently, whereas the rest of the exposed brass has significant patina. Looks too odd and brown to be any period paint job, am I right? Plus I've never heard of brass buckles getting field painted.

Thinking this one may need some help and tlc.

Imperial German Buckles.
    Imperial German Buckles.

A bit of an oddity, however I do not believe it is unheard or nor inconceivable that a 2-piece brass Imperial might be field painted. I see no real reason to suspect the paint is not period although I suppose one can't be 100%. Personally, I would be quite content to leave as is.

Best,
    Adam

Hello,

these 2 piece brass/nickel painted buckles were issued for a short period of time in late 1914, early 1915 before the introduction of the one piece steel pressed war version
    For that reason, these transitional buckles are fairly rare and not very well known by the collectors
    Furthermore, some of them are difficult to spot, as they can easily be confused with a steel 2 piece painted buckle if the paint is mint or nearly intact
    The use of a magnet is a good manner of detecting if it is steel or brass

Does it look like the right paint color?

Hi, I don't see why it couldn't have been painted; but it's the first I've seen.

?

Imperial German Buckles.Imperial German Buckles.Imperial German Buckles.Here is my painted example. Much like RelicHunter's. I think it is a factory paint finish. Certainly not a field one, as it is baked on. I think Herveparis is correct about the time frame for their use.

CCMJR

Page 59 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 ... LastLast