Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Prussian Brass/Nickle?

Article about: Hi guys, I got this buckle in recently, attached to a nice DRGM stamped parade belt. I was happy with belt, good for the price I paid but once I saw the buckle I wasn't convinced of it... My

Default Imperial Prussian Brass/Nickle?

Hi guys,

I got this buckle in recently, attached to a nice DRGM stamped parade belt. I was happy with belt, good for the price I paid but once I saw the buckle I wasn't convinced of it... My main concern is the prong tube is a tube, with no seam. Nash refers to imperial buckles having a prong tube made from a folded piece of brass, so there is a seam. Also the prongs themself are square cut, which I've never seen before. They are also 15mm centre to centre as opposed to the normal 16-17mm.

Any thoughts? Gut feeling is repro but I've not handled any repro Imperials to compare against....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Prussian Brass/Nickle?   Imperial Prussian Brass/Nickle?  

Imperial Prussian Brass/Nickle?   Imperial Prussian Brass/Nickle?  

Imperial Prussian Brass/Nickle?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Prussian Brass/Nickle?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Imperial Prussian Brass/Nickle?

Hello Lenny,

I personnally see nothing wrong with this very common prussian buckle which were manufactured in a numerous kind of variants

I have the Nash book which is mainly oriented on the TR period buckles on which it is very good, but the imperial section is very unprecise, to say the least

The photos of buckles shown in the imperial section are not representative of the buckles of the period as some of them are very worn, even for fairly common models

Furthermore, legends are not correct (as in the case of the "inverted" saxon buckle in nickel with brass medaillon which is attributed to reservists) and at least a very tricky prussian M47 heavily corroded which is in my opinion a modern fake chemically aged

What do you think of Nash's comment that the prong tube should have a seam in it, ie. made from rolled sheet brass and that repros are seen with a solid tube? I know there are good repros of this buckle about, but haven't seen one...

Imperial buckles are in their majority made with open seam brass tube with brazed prongs, but in my opinion it cannot be a criteria to indicate a fake or not as numerous other buckles of the period are made with seamless tubes, particularly private purchase items

A buckle must be studied as a whole, not by small parts and by thinking " book said seamless tubes equal fake"

Considering the big number of makers and subcontractors, you can find a large number of small différences in the tubes and in the prongs such the width, the bending and the shape of the ends

If you see Nash book on page 102, the bavarian all brass buckle seems to have "square prongs" just like your prussian one

Quote by HERVEPARIS View Post
    ........at least a very tricky prussian M47 heavily corroded which is in my opinion a modern fake chemically aged
    Couldn't agree more, definately a fake. It has that strange 'squared' style lettering as well.

Cheers, I suppose that's right, you need to take the buckle as a whole. I guess I just worried about the absence of the seam... If that's present on original private purchase buckles then I guess I'm worrying for nothing. Has anyone got any of the current repro Prussian brass/nickle buckles? There doesn't seem to be a fakes topic on those????

Quote by HERVEPARIS View Post
    Imperial buckles are in their majority made with open seam brass tube with brazed prongs, but in my opinion it cannot be a criteria to indicate a fake or not as numerous other buckles of the period are made with seamless tubes, particularly private purchase items

A buckle must be studied as a whole, not by small parts and by thinking " book said seamless tubes equal fake"

Considering the big number of makers and subcontractors, you can find a large number of small différences in the tubes and in the prongs such the width, the bending and the shape of the ends

If you see Nash book on page 102, the bavarian all brass buckle seems to have "square prongs" just like your prussian one

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    Couldn't agree more, definately a fake. It has that strange 'squared' style lettering as well.
    You mean the one on page 71?

Quote by Lenny Warren View Post
    You mean the one on page 71?
    Yeah, that's the one

Quote by Lenny Warren View Post
    . Has anyone got any of the current repro Prussian brass/nickle buckles? There doesn't seem to be a fakes topic on those????
    It's a good idea Lenny to start a thread. Have a good look at eBay for repro Imperials. It will give you a good idea of what's about.