Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Imperial Prussian, not sure if it's sheet brass?

Article about: Hi guys, This came in with a few other bits and pieces. It looks ground dug, I cleaned it in warm soapy water as it was completely manky. (forgot to take pics of it's original state, but was

Default Imperial Prussian, not sure if it's sheet brass?

Hi guys,

This came in with a few other bits and pieces. It looks ground dug, I cleaned it in warm soapy water as it was completely manky. (forgot to take pics of it's original state, but was just totally black) Thing is, it doesn't look like a sheet brass box. It's non magnetic, but I can see areas of brass colour, then areas of copper colour and then areas that look like brass has lifted showing a matt dark surface below...

Could this be brass plating over a copper wash which is on top of a base metal? I'm just curious about variations in construction...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRUSSIAN DUG-LW001.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	282.4 KB 
ID:	624976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRUSSIAN DUG-LW002.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	624977  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRUSSIAN DUG-LW003.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	624978  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Just read what you wrote Lenny but before I read anything I first thought to myself it looks copper?
    Ben

That's what I thought, but also looks to be brass colour in there as well. I was just interested in various construction methods. I know that before nickle for example is applied, they give steel a coating of copper or brass so that the nickle sticks...

Things like this just add to the fun of the hobby...

Hello,

it's a tombak box for privat purchasing buckles .........
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

special SA/NSKK/NSFK with maker marks

Link to my collection : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1175

If that is tombak it has been in a fire or something, so tombak is copper and zinc Lenny if you do not know
    Ben

Quote by yellow12 View Post
    Hello,
    it's a tombak box for privat purchasing buckles .........
    Cheers Markus, had a funy feeling there was tombak there or thereabouts...

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    If that is tombak it has been in a fire or something, so tombak is copper and zinc Lenny if you do not know
    As far as I remember tombak is still a brass alloy, but with higher levels of copper and zinc? Presumably you mention fire as it has maybe broken down the constituents a bit?

A nice salty look to it!...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Hi All, here's a tombak Imperial buckle. The front had a lot of black spots on it when I got it, like the one on the back. When they corrode they go black like that. I presume it's the zinc in the alloy, cheers, Richard.
    Attached Images Attached Images