Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle

Article about: Hello All, I wanted to share this interesting buckle I picked-up recently and that would appear to be a 1-piece stamped brass Imperial Prussian. I have also posted this buckle in the Imperia

Default Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle

Hello All,

I wanted to share this interesting buckle I picked-up recently and that would appear to be a 1-piece stamped brass Imperial Prussian. I have also posted this buckle in the Imperials section where it has been proposed by another forum member that this is not a service buckle but rather a post-1918 private purchase buckle—a "Traditionsverein" buckle that was produced for veteran associations.

All of the brass Imperial buckles I have seen up to this point have been of the 2-piece variety, just as most 1-piece examples are of steel. This buckle is also very slightly larger than my standard size M1895 Imperial Prussian which is also shown here for comparative purposes. I have only seen two other similar Prussian and Saxon examples held by Rob and Gerolf and which are shown in the Imperial buckles thread (page #1/post #7 & page #10/post #95.) Also of interesting note in regards to the construction of my buckle in particular is the lack of “ears” which is, of course, also seen on smaller size buckles and some Imperials.

It would seem these are a less commonly encountered type of buckle and if anyone has other examples of these or further information to share that would be great. Of course, any and all comments and thoughts are most appreciated.

Best to you all,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle   Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle  

Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle

I have a pre WWI buckle with the same type stamped construction. It is the larger 50mm size. I think the large size was pre WWI, it might be pre 1900. Here is a thread on another forum Imperial collection - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums Kirby

Default Re: Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle

See item # 270696147004 (E Bay) sold to me. Poss 1870??

Aug
    ?

I have a similar buckle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle   Interesting 1-Piece Stamped Brass Imperial Prussian Buckle  

I also have one of those I posted previously here on the forum. I'd like to know the reason for it.

I have one of these as well.

...I'd like to know the reason for it.

by member James N
    My guesses as to the reason for this buckle existing: One-piece construction was cheaper and quicker to make. Think about the M15 buckles in 1-piece stamped steel. A separate disk was no longer needed to manufacture and apply to the buckle, thus saving time and money in the manufacturing process. I have always wondered where these stand in the transition of buckles from the M95 and to the M15.

There was the experimentation with the "Hartzinn" or "Pewter" type construction buckles with the applied disk, and the iron or steel buckles with the applied disk to the front of the buckle in early ?1915, transitioning into the 1-piece steel stamped Model 1915 buckle having the central disk directly die struck into the buckle. Did these brass one-piece buckles date sometime in this time frame of late 1914 into 1915?

Best Regards,

Alan