Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Article about: I recently acquired this Mecklenburg- Strlitz buckle. It is the early 50mm pattern. Would like opinions and comments. Thanks

?

Default Mecklenburg-Strelitz

I recently acquired this Mecklenburg- Strlitz buckle. It is the early 50mm pattern. Would like opinions and comments. Thanks
    Mecklenburg-Strelitz
    Mecklenburg-StrelitzMecklenburg-Strelitz

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mecklenburg-Strelitz
    P
    Many

Never seen one with 4 solder holes, but that's only me!...

Nice buckle and one hard to get hold of, any markings on the side of the buckle? (on the walls of the buckle on the outer side) Also look at the ears, I have seen ears like that before or very similar, I will have a look through and get back to you.
    Ben

I thought the ear were J D Von Hagen but I dont think they are now I have seen it
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mecklenburg-Strelitz  
    Ben

?

I can't recall see a 4 holer before, either. Not sure if you can see from the photo, but it appears that the solder in the hole under the catch has been dug away by the belt hook.
    No, there are no markings. Would been nice if there were some.

?

Very interesting, I have never seen an M1848 version of the Mecklenburg-Strelitz buckle, but the 4 (or even 3) solder holes should be correct for this early pre-M1895 buckle.

?

From what I can find out Mecklenburg- Strlitz began using this patten (50mm) buckle in 1867.