Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Mecklenburg-Strelitz M-15 Buckles

Article about: First I want to say that neither of these buckles belong to me. They both appeared on the market this year, and unfortunately I missed both of them. I was "asleep at the wheel" on

Default Mecklenburg-Strelitz M-15 Buckles

First I want to say that neither of these buckles belong to me. They both appeared on the market this year, and unfortunately I missed both of them. I was "asleep at the wheel" on the one with lots of surface rust, and missed it coming on the market entirely. I only stumbled onto it after it had been sold to someone else. I was outbid on the other nicer example that I will share photos of.

Needless to say, the Model 1915 one-piece steel construction Mecklenburg-Strelitz buckle has to be a top contender for the "Holy Grail" of Imperial German buckle collecting.

I've never seen one of these buckles in person, only a handful of photos of a few examples. I stumbled onto a period photo of one being worn, which I feel extremely lucky to have found in the last couple of years.

Best Regards,

Alan

The buckle featured below in 3-photos has a leather tab that is dated 1915, and has a maker from Altona stamped into the leather tab.

Mecklenburg-Strelitz M-15 BucklesMecklenburg-Strelitz M-15 BucklesMecklenburg-Strelitz M-15 Buckles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mecklenburg-Strelitz M-15 Buckles
    P
    Many

The two photos below are of the Strelitz buckle that has lots of surface rust.

Best Regards,

Alan

Mecklenburg-Strelitz M-15 BucklesMecklenburg-Strelitz M-15 Buckles

?

I diidn't know that this buckle was rare, so I presume that this buckle has been faked as I have one, and knowing my luck.....
    Pete

?

Now that is a interesting looking buckle. Thanks Alan for posting a pic of the Holy Grail. It has a very unique coat of arms. I like the griffins on it ,but that must come from my Baden side of the family

Semper Fi
    Phil

By member wood:
    I diidn't know that this buckle was rare, so I presume that this buckle has been faked as I have one, and knowing my luck.....
    Hi Pete,

The 1-piece steel Model 1915 like these shown have not been reproduced to the best of my knowledge. If your example is steel and not brass, and looks like these ones, it is most likely original.

I have a 1-piece Mecklenburg-Schwerin buckle that has the same central wappen in a smaller size with a starburst or rays surrounding it.

The Model 1895 2-piece buckles for Mecklenburg Strelitz have been heavily faked. (Brass buckle with the nickel silver or alpaca silver disk). A lot of the fakes will have the die flaw in the vertical line of dots, which makes a short line of them look like they are melted together vertically.

The Mecklenburg Schwerin Model 1895 have also been heavily faked.

Hi Phil,

Yes, it is a unique coat of arms, and I can see why you like the griffins.

Best Regards,

Alan

?

Thanks for the info Alan. I think its steel and one piece, I will have to try to find it and post a pic.
    Regards,
    Pete