Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake?

Article about: Hi Guys... well, I not only decided to go it alone and purchase a buckle without your advice... I also did something that I swore I would never do... buy it on eBay!!! There wasn't time to p

?

Default WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake?

Hi Guys... well, I not only decided to go it alone and purchase a buckle without your advice... I also did something that I swore I would never do... buy it on eBay!!! There wasn't time to post a picture and get it checked out by you guys, it was a new eBay posting with a 'buy-it-now' option at US$30. I had to act quickly. After using all my newly learnt detecting skills the buckle seemed authentic to me... I then compared it against a photo of a similar buckle in my German Belt Buckle Book, and once again everything looked right.. this book by the way was written in 2003 by Peter Nash, and he valued this buckle back then as having a value of £50-£60 ($60-$80)... so, if it is authentic I think I got a good deal at $30. So... now, nervously... I will wait and see what you guys think... did I do the right thing or have I made a big mistake? I still feel that it's genuine though... until you tell me otherwise!

Cheers... Hansi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake?   WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake?  

Attached Images Attached Images WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake?  WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake?  WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake?

I would have bought it for 30 bucks, not sure if its fair dinkum but it looks good!

?

Thanks buddy... I'll have to wait and see what the experts think of it! Cheers... Hansi

WW1 is not really my subject matter, but I think it is OK.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade... my intension was to stick with WW2 but then... there are so many beautiful WW1 buckles that it seems a shame to limit oneself... and at $30 it would have been a crime not to buy it! Cheers.. Hansi

Hi Hansi

well done, thats a nice original one. They go for higher prices, when a leather tongue is added. But 30 dollar is still cheap.
    WWI buckles are really nice and there are alot of fine designs out there. Good hunting !

cheers
    Thomas

?

Thanks Thomas... that's good news... I'm very pleased with it. Thanks for your help... Cheers... Hansi

Hansi

No mistake !

A great and original example of the Prussian mid Great War buckle and toward which some refer to as the " 1915/1916 Ersatz" model.

Perhaps some of the boys on the "Imperial" forum may wish to chime in here.

Regards,

David

Gents, a very nice original Model 1916 one piece stamped steel buckle, as oppossed to the Model 1915 which although again stamped was two piece, and had the old style claw fitting, i.e. a welded/soldered claw on the roller, the M16 could have (depending on maker) an internally fixed claw into a "rolled" roller, and this is where the confusion lies, as the "new" type" claw is the type favoured by the reproducers !.....photos attached showing the differances between the M15 (right) & M16 (left), also note the belt catch receivers. The stamped steel buckles were usually painted in field grey or earth brown.
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake?  WW1 buckle... did I make a mistake? 

?

I don't think they copied WW I much as they were cheap price for years... not like SS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast