MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Artillery Officer Field Cap circa 1910

Article about: Hi This is a fantastic example of the pre-war officers field cap and one I have waited a long time to get hold of in this condition and with these features. The black velvet band is still pl

Default Artillery Officer Field Cap circa 1910

Hi

This is a fantastic example of the pre-war officers field cap and one I have waited a long time to get hold of in this condition and with these features.

The black velvet band is still plush and shiny and no mothing is to be found on the crown. A couple of nips appear on the piping but otherwise the cap is mint.

This type of cap was authorised for wear till october 1913 and from then on only the grey field cap could be worn.

It has a leather peak with a grey sweatband and the underside of the peak has been colour matched to the sweatband. The cap is also half lined in the interior allowing the benefit of clear inspection of the construction.

It came with the internal spring still inside and thus retained its shape.

Thanks for taking the time.........

cheers

tony

?

Default Re: Artillery Officer Field Cap circa 1910

Probably not pc to ask, but what kind of price did you pay? Whatever it was, it was worth it for an almost-100 year old item.

I'm curious to know where you find these items. Seems either ebay (and risk being ripped off) or militaria dealers and still a fair chance of being overcharged.

Hi NickM

As a rule I don't discuss the cost of items on the forum as value is a very subjective thing anyway. That said she was less than you think !

The Imperial caps are great value for money IMO especially the Prussian blue ones. You can always get them on E bay but need to be carful. Post them here if you are not sure and the guys will always give you an honest opinion.

Pm me if you want some guide on prices and places to shop.......

cheers

tony

Great find Tony ! I have one, a salty crusher style NCO's, shown below, complete with folded T-shirt to keep its shape !.........these can be picked up fairly cheaply compared to TR caps !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Artillery Officer Field Cap circa 1910   Artillery Officer Field Cap circa 1910  

Steve,

loovin' that white peak and matching sweatband..........................these caps are cheap as chips compared to TR and arn't they just the bees knees

cheers

tony

?

Tony,

A nice quality cap for sure! I was piqued by the information on the cessation of its use. Where did you find that info?

Regards,
    CCMJR

Hi

That info came from the verlag books on the german army published by the Bavarian army museum. Quality books each and every one of them.

They state thst the field cap (blue) was discontinued from oct 1913 following the introduction of the field grey cap in 1910 for officers. The blue service cap was used still for walking out and parades till 1915 when the new regulations introduced the "future peace time uniform" with the field grey crown and peak on the service cap.

Hope this helps..........any additions or corrections welcome !!

cheers

tony

?

Tony,

Thanks for the swift reply. When you say, the Verlag books, which one specifically are you referring to? Do you mean Kraus's book or something else?

Regards,
    CCMJR

Hi

Yeah I think the Kraus book from memory. The 1914 -18 german army.

Cheers

tony