Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?

Article about: Hi I recently picked this cap up off e bay. The only photo showed the front of the cap. Which was a shame because I should have asked to see a picture of the back. A photo of the top was als

Default a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?

Hi

I recently picked this cap up off e bay. The only photo showed the front of the cap.

Which was a shame because I should have asked to see a picture of the back.

A photo of the top was also cleverly taken to show it from its best angle. In fact the other side looked like this.

a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?

It also had a chin strap which was a late war three piece version....oh sorry I mean it had broken into three pieces. Still the rusty buttons were still in place holding on two bits of the chin strap so it wasn't all bad news.

That said i'm very happy with it... I'm hoping some one can confirm if it is a M1917 universal field cap. The cap band is a darkish green in sunlight as is the piping. In pictures it looks more brown/green.

Any opinions/comments always welcome.

cheers

tony

?

Default Re: a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?

Wow that is rough but I guess it shows character ! Inbloody hate moths ! We have then I'n our house all my cloth items are locked away !

Default Update on the badly damaged field cap....

After five man hours (or as my wife would say, sad man hours) hunched over a table with a piece of 80 year old cloth , razor,thread and copious cups of tea.....

the cap has been "re-built". It's not quite perfect but.....

a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?a badly damaged field cap...can it be saved ?

Next step the chin strap.

Default Re: Update on the badly damaged field cap....

Excellent job mate congrats
    Do you have any pics of what it looked like before? It'd be great to see. So we can see the amount of work you put into this.
    Well Done
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Spandau.... a piece saved ! great job ! (I did the same to an Officers dunkelblau cap & got the same attitude from my wife !) looks like a nice 1917 model service cap....what Korkaden are going to apply to it.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Your not the only two who gets that from the wife, every time i refirbish a helmet liner, restitch , refresh the band, clean the dirt from the back padding and reinstall, she just shakes her head and says "you are a sad bugger", my response "read your book"

Quote by davejb View Post
    Your not the only two who gets that from the wife, every time i refirbish a helmet liner, restitch , refresh the band, clean the dirt from the back padding and reinstall, she just shakes her head and says "you are a sad bugger", my response "read your book"
    I know what you mean Dave, my usual riposte is "Be quiet now will yer... and iron my shirt...." although this seems to lose a lot in translation into the female vocabulary.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

WOW MATE I take my comment back great job ! it looks great

?

You guys are hilarious! My wife sees me do something like that and calls me a nerd or a dork. I tell her to go watch her dumb reality shows like, " house wives of new york" or The Lifetime channel " television for women " or some other junk like that. Very nice job on the cap!BTW.
    ~Dean

Great job, spandau!

I repaired a Mantel, but it wasn't nearly as hard as your repair job appeared to be. Was the visor replaced?

Anton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast