Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bavarian Officers Field Cap

Article about: Hi My latest find. A field grey cap made of high quality tricot material. The piping is best described as crimson. The cap band is black velvet. Peak is leather. I'm hoping that makes it a v

Default Bavarian Officers Field Cap

Hi

My latest find.

A field grey cap made of high quality tricot material. The piping is best described as crimson. The cap band is black velvet. Peak is leather.

I'm hoping that makes it a veterinary officers.

Please can any one help confirm this ?

As ever opinions welcomed.

regards

Tony

Bavarian Officers Field CapBavarian Officers Field CapBavarian Officers Field Cap

Default Re: Bavarian Officers Field Cap

Tony, a fine Officers Model 1910 Service cap....."Veterinarsoffiiziere" had as you say a cap with a black band, but is piping was descibed as "Carmine" a shade of red that differed from the usual red used on most Infantry based units, however due to your camera flash, I believe that a photograph in natural light would better show the shade of red on your cap, otherwise it is upto you to decide the colour, as you have the cap in hand. Hope that helps.
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks for the input. i will get a "garden shot" in the sunlight of the cap and post it ASAP.

I have compared it against the poppy red of an infantry cap and the carmine of a TR cap and it does look slightly more of a darker red.

Still I do like it.....it has a nice feel and look to it.

cheers

tony

up dates on the colour.

These were taken in sunlight

Comparison shots below.....

Top shot: ww1 cap against TR general staff officers
    middle shot: ww1 against ww1 artillery(poppy red) and TR fire brigades (carmine)
    bottom shot: ww1 cap next to ww1 artillery

Bavarian Officers Field CapBavarian Officers Field CapBavarian Officers Field Cap

Thought i might as well post a picture of the artillery cap.

Its dated 1916 and although the owners label is sadly torn out the remaining parts show a tantillising "Garde.... " as to the owner regiment.

Bavarian Officers Field Cap

Tony, these new photos show the colours ! IMO your Bavarian cap it is "carmine" piped, a Veterinary Officers ! Nice Arty cap !
    Prost ! Steve.