Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Feldmuze cockade backing ??

Article about: I got this feldmuze in a recent buy of a WW1 US officers grouping. Nothing too exciting about the piece. Show’s true field use, no ink stamps visible. The question I have is on the lower coc

Default Feldmuze cockade backing ??

I got this feldmuze in a recent buy of a WW1 US officers grouping. Nothing too exciting about the piece. Show’s true field use, no ink stamps visible.
    The question I have is on the lower cockade backing. I did a web search /forum search and did not find a single example of another one with any backing.
    Question, is there any significants to the grey cockade backing?
    Tom lastditch
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldmuze cockade backing ??   Feldmuze cockade backing ??  

Feldmuze cockade backing ??   Feldmuze cockade backing ??  

An original M1910 Feldmutze/cap, a nice one, not sure on the backing, usually, but not always, the cockade was factory applied before the lining was stitched in.............so no stitching is visible from the application of the cockade, but over time even in use the cockade could of been reapplied, interestingly, originally the cockades would of had a small piece of backing applied, but this did not show.....However this caps cockade is wrong, it should be a Reichskokarden (black/white/red) on the coloured band not a state cockade, you have two Prussian ones attached !
    Prost ! Steve.

Steve, thank you for the reply, the top cockade has small remnants of red color. Probably was red at one time.
    Or as you indicated it could have been 2 Prussian cockades, but with one painted red that has lost its paint. I attached a photo that show both cockade’s stitching though the lining. My first feldmuze so just learning details.
    lastditch
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldmuze cockade backing ??  

nice cap

?

Looks to me as though the lower cockade was stitched on over the camouflage band and someone cut the band off by clipping on either side of the cockade.

Upper cockade does show some red in the center.

aicusv
    Looks like you nailed it with the camouflage band theory, did a web search for feldmutze camo band and found one with a full band of the same unhemmed type material.
    This piece isn’t really in my line of collecting, but after doing the research it’s going between my 2 Pickelhaubes, which by the way I don’t collect either. Sticking to collecting blades just doesn’t work well when you find cool stuff.
    Thank you for the help.
    Lastditch

?

Cap is a nice piece and would go well between two haubes. I do like this cap and having the band cut, adds some character to it.