Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Infantry Visors: Feldgrau

Article about: Keep them coming..... A 1915 regulation service cap for a Wurttemburg (reserve) officer with the field grey peak. This one has a nice white silk liner and peak offset with a black oilskin sw

Default Infantry Visors: Feldgrau

Keep them coming.....

A 1915 regulation service cap for a Wurttemburg (reserve) officer with the field grey peak. This one has a nice white silk liner and peak offset with a black oilskin sweatband.

It's one of my favourites.

cheers

tony

Infantry Visors:  FeldgrauInfantry Visors:  Feldgrau
    Last edited by stonemint; 03-10-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Default Re: Post Your Kaiserreich (Imperial) Headgear!

Fiel cap circa 1917/1918 with a black peak and chinstrap....................

Infantry Visors:  Feldgrau

cheers

tony

Hi

Got this one on a punt and broke the capital rule of buying it without seeing a shot of the inside I love living dangerously (sometimes)

ANYWAY TURNED OUT OK....

This is an Infantry officers service cap circa 1916 onwards I would say. It has the lovely whipcord field grey material and the bottom material is wool cloth as seen on the later war versions. Their is no mothing on the crown. The insides turned out a beauty as they are nice gold silk lining but the crown lining is paper ! The peak is pressed cardboard and the sweatband is oilcloth.

The peak is also detachable as found only on the really "rare late war officer to soldat versions"

It will of course be affixed in due course but allows us the chance to see the peak up close.

cheers

tony

latest one for me.....................but no peak.

Gone for the M1907 field cap.

This one is dated 1916.

cheers

tony

Hi and happy new year to you all,

Keeping on a medical theme here is my Christmas cap and first purchase of the year........................

It's a 1908 model sanis or stretcher bearer field cap. It is missing the chin strap but has the grey leather peak making it a war time production as these came in from 1915 onwards. The cockade I believe is for Lübeck.

Cheers

Tony

A 1917 theme....................Helmet with 1917 pattern liner, the Einheitsfeldmütze for other ranks and the universal version of the field cap for officers.

cheers

Tony

?

Got this one in today, named to a Hptm in the Bavarian 22 Infanterie-Regiment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infantry Visors:  Feldgrau   Infantry Visors:  Feldgrau  

?

That's right Tony, no red band and no bottom piping, just feldgrau all over!

It's named Hptm Nachtigall (I think but it's difficult to make out) Some research turned up only 2 Officers named Nachtigall in the Imperial Army.

Nachtigall, Offizier-Stellvertreter
    Nachtigall, Oberleutnant der Reserve

I was told that they didn't abreviate regimental marking with the "/" during WWI but I don't know about that. Maybe it was written in the cap post war? it certainly wasn't done recently.

What's your take on that?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infantry Visors:  Feldgrau   Infantry Visors:  Feldgrau  

hi Ben

Not sure about the "/" theory but sounds plausible. I'll check my sources and see if there are any examples.

maybe the info was written in post war, by family maybe or the veteran himself, not sure if he would write it in during the war.

You'd have to have big boots if you were going to nick the captains hat !!

cheers

tony

?

Some very interesting information just posted on my WAF thread that might help all of us. This is in relation the letter b in the handwritten II/b.JR 22 inside the cap.

"It is indeed a 'b'.

But, not meaning to split hairs, but only to be accurate, it's called 'Kurrentschrift', not Sütterlin.

Sütterlinschrift was a modernized version of the more cursive Kurrent (16th century-early 20th century). It was developed in 1911, and only introduced to Prussian (not all German) schools in 1915.

Sütterlin didn't become widely used in Germany until the 1920s and only became official in all German schools in 1935. The Nazis banned it along with all other old style "blackletter" fonts (including Kurrent, Fraktur etc.) in 1941, claiming them (falsely) to be Jewish in origin.

It was re-introduced into German schools after 1945 and taught until about 1970. It's still taught in design schools, but not generally in the population so that many Germans can't read it.

Any script seen in pass books, on documents, uniforms etc., from WWI and before would be in one of several forms of Kurrentschrift.

As for the hat...While Imperial uniforms are not my area, I do know something about Freikorps and Reichswehr. It could have continued to be worn in the Freikorps or Vorläufiges Reichwehr only until May 1919. After that, the lower cockade would have included an oakleaf wreath. In September 1919, the lower cockade was replaced by a Weimar black eagle in a gilt oval."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast