Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original or not?

Article about: Need help is this original ww1 German cap issued to British POW?

kjs
    ?

Default Original or not?

Need help is this original ww1 German cap issued to British POW?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original or not?   Original or not?  

Original or not?   Original or not?  

It resembles a German cap somewhat, but is not a German military cap in my estimation. What is the story here? Looks as if it is on display in a local historical society--what are they basing the story on?

Much better and detail showing pictures are needed. The lining looks rather bright compared to the rest of the wear. It also strikes me as a modern material, unlike any wool I have seen.

kjs
    ?

I bought it as a very Rare German Feldmutzen cap issued to British and French POW and it came from private collection on the Somme
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original or not?   Original or not?  

Original or not?  

Do you collect German caps at all so you can compare? This takes a few shortcuts, which one may expect, but why would a German style (sorta) cap be made from British wool when a Brit would more likely want something that resembles a British cap? I'd think they would be issued a beat up German Army issue of any type without cockades before making something like this.

Do you have links to the auction or seller sight? Did this come out of the UK? Seems the most egregious fakes are being sold from a few UK sellers. I'd like a better look at the "57," please. The staining does not look right.

I admit I'm not familiar with POW Headgear...and although I like a good mystery, I have my suspicions and doubts...I look forward to Stonemint's Expertise regarding this unusual piece and will gladly stand corrected of course...
    cheers, Glenn

kjs
    ?

This is the only German? cap I have the website I got it from is www.relicsfromthefront.co.uk they selling one more on the website Thank you for your help if you need any more photos let me know Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original or not?  

I don't like the 1916 German cap they sold, and as doubtful of the provenance on this. For that paltry sum maybe they figure the buyer won't make a stink over getting a fake. They seem to be pushing the "Somme" connection to get sales, IMO, and anyone selling stuff like this unable to fully tell provenance or better photos I get skeptical. BTW, laziness or ignorance on the seller's part to use the word correctly--Feldmütze. Feldmützen is plural. Kinda tells me that German Caps are not an area of knowledge.

https://relicsfromthefront.co.uk/pro...me-battlefield

Here are a couple of original markings. Note the style of numbers, compared to what you have.

Original or not?

Original or not?

kjs
    ?

Thank you for your help I also bought a WW1 German gas mask from the same seller not sure if its original or fake?

There is so many sites, where you can buy WW2/WW1 stuff. And most of it is fake, some of it is make so good that its very hard to say if it is reel or fake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast