Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prussian Infanterie Dunkelblau Visor???

Article about: I know these photos are terrible but was unexpectedly at a local show today and didn't bring my camera. Only my 5 year old cell phone with a cracked lens.... So.... I have not dipped my toe

MAP
    ?

Default Prussian Infanterie Dunkelblau Visor???

I know these photos are terrible but was unexpectedly at a local show today and didn't bring my camera. Only my 5 year old cell phone with a cracked lens....

So.... I have not dipped my toe into Imperial soft headgear before but this caught my eye. But I'm a bit skeptical. Except for some wear to the liner, it is in near mint condition.

Any thoughts on originality from these photos? Asking price was $250.00.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Just a bump. Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks!

M

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks like a nice authentic Prussian infantry officer's cap, and the price is fair, IMHO.

BobS

MAP
    ?

Thanks Bob. I can get it for $225 but that was aslow as he would go. It was a local show and very few enthusiasts there. Even less so Imperial.

Anyway...what should I be looking for to authenticate this cap? Or what should be yellow flags?

?

This cap appears to show it's age, given the lightly crazed visor, faded exterior and somewhat worm interior. The cockades are correct; upper black , silver & red for the German Empire, and the lower black & silver for Prussia.
    These caps are not rare, but repros are made, which can usually be easily identified as such.
    They are not worth the effort to artificially age them, as is done with many valuable Third Reich era caps, such as SS, which can be worth thousands of dollars.
    The price is a good one; I would snap it up.

Bob S

I agree, good one with a good price.

Lining appears to be genuine silk-- it often frays in that manner.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

MAP
    ?

Thank you gentleman very very much. I have very little in the way of Imperial era items, just a few helmets, EK's and a moth eaten Feldmutze.

I will contact the gentleman and see if it is still available which I no doubt sure it is.

Regards,

Michael

MAP
    ?

So this was purchased and will arrive this week. High quality photos to come....Thanks for the help.

Silly question for a newbie in this field. In looking at Stonemints thread...I can't seem to determine the difference between an NCO or Officers. Is it the two piece cockade or the double ring? If not, how can I tell?

Infanterie Visors: Dunkelblau

MAP
    ?

OK...the cap arrived and I have taken photos. The lining is silk, there is one tiny moth hole and the material is a beautiful doeskin.

That is the good news.

Now the potential bad news...(or maybe it's just my lack of understanding).

At the show I was unable to examine it in as full detail as I would normally do. I was just able to snap a few quick (poor photos) and then moved on.

If you look closely at the interior photos of the visor brim you can see that there is a second layer of holes in the sweat band. You can also see at the edge of the visor a few holes that have no thread. And finally you can see some glue residue.

At first I thought that maybe the visor came loose and was repaired (very well I may add)

But on closer examination,

1) the "glue does not go anywhere near the brim and appears to be applied to tack the foam padding in place (that has since pretty much deteriorated).
    2) The sweat band appears to be original with original stitch all around the rest of the visor
    3) The blue/black thread does not glow under a black light (not a conclusive test of course)
    4) The sweat band smells extremely old (always trust the nose) while still somewhat pliable is getting stiff with age.
    5) The visor appears to be very tight to the cap, with only those two visible holes not having thread through them. (I unfortunately can not dig any further without fear of ripping the fragile sweat band.)

Now my other question is this? Did Imperial era visors ever have the foam behind the sweat band? We see this on TR headgear like my early ErEl HG NCO visor. Was this something that was done on Imperial visors? My gut tells me no, but I do not know..

So...what are your thoughts?

If a newer repair but original I'm still OK -> I did not pay much and it is great shape and will display well.

If I'm just overly concerned and it is OK (or a period repair) -> then I very happy.

If it is all bad...well -> I'm bummed but not out too much $$$ and will try to return.

Thanks for taking a look.

Michael

Click the photos below to enlarge to see the close up of the visor brim holes (left side) as well as the stitching and glue.

It does appear that the visor and sweatband was resewn at some point, and IMO, it was a period repair.
    Regarding sponges, off the top of my head I cannot recall seeing them in Imperial visors, but I have learned to never say never in this hobby.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast