Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Questionable Busbys

Article about: Lhr1:

Reservist:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questionable Busbys   Questionable Busbys  

Questionable Busbys   Questionable Busbys  

Questionable Busbys  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

This has really bounced around. It was sold by Mohawk in 2012 for $16,500; then sold by Oakleaf, and was in the Alexander auction most recently:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questionable Busbys   Questionable Busbys  

Questionable Busbys  

Lhr:

LHR1 Repro:

This Sammleranfertigung (collector copy) mimics the 1912 pattern Pelzmütze (hussar’s fur cap) for a reserve officer in Prussian Leib Hussar Regiment 1.

This is similar to the huge, bushy busby Field Marshal August von Mackensen wore, except that this one is for a Reserve officer.

My supply of 'possum fur is now exhausted; unfortunately, my supplier went out of business, too.

Features…

voluminous gray ‘possum fur body (a good match with the 1910 uniform, it never totally supplanted the brown otter fur busby)
    unlike the enlisted busby, this officer's model has a flexible body with a cane loop at the top (See liner picture...)
    red bag/Kolpak
    rolled Prussian officer caplines of silver cording with black flecking
    massive, eerie Totenkopf plate ("galvano" copy in silvered finish with patina) with black velvet socket inserts
    Reserve cross mounted on field badge of silver cording cord with black velvet center and velvet backing
    (Reserve officers in the two L.H. regiments wore a cross on their field badge instead of a “Vaterland” bandeau/ribbon on the body of the busby.)
    hand-stitched, scallop-edged leather liner (approximately 59 cm size) with upper liner of ribbed cloth
    gold-plated convex chin scales and officer Kokarde included
    ready for display or wear as is
    See p. 410 of Herr & Nguyen’s The German Cavalry from 1871 to 1914 for reference; see also p. 124 of Joachim Hilsenbeck’s Deutsche Offiziershelme aus der Kaiserzeit 1870-1918, Volume 2.
    (I looked through six references before even finding a photo of a reserve officer LH busby; the originals are so rare they don’t show up very often in the helmet books.)

Questionable Busbys  

Lhr1:

LHR Repro Shako:

Description: Parts helmet with pre 1945 replaced parts. The buyer is obligated to assume risk and purchase "as is". Busby features fur exterior with attached plume and attached front plate with skull and banner. Chin scales come complete and are attached to correct cockades. Aiguillette is attached to top.

Description: Parts helmet with pre 1945 replaced parts. The buyer is obligated to assume risk and purchase "as is". Busby features fur exterior with attached plume and attached front plate with skull and banner. Chin scales come complete and are attached to correct cockades. Aiguillette is attached to top.

Condition Report: 3

Description: Parts helmet with pre 1945 replaced parts. The buyer is obligated to assume risk and purchase "as is". Busby features fur exterior with attached plume and attached front plate with star burst and Saxon coat of arms. Chin scales come complete and are attached to correct cockades.

Condition Report: 3
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questionable Busbys  

LHR TK by IMME

Questionable Busbys  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast