Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear

Article about: My personal favorite website (next to this one, of course): Kaiser's Bunker. The site is probably the best reference tool on the web for soft headgear, and I have followed his color illustra

Default Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear

My personal favorite website (next to this one, of course): Kaiser's Bunker.
    The site is probably the best reference tool on the web for soft headgear, and I have followed his color illustrations of headgear (both in feldgrau and dunkelblau) in creating the reference threads on this site.

Any budding KR soft-headgear collector should start here:

Kaiser's Bunker Imperial German Cloth Headgear Guide
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

While there are dozens of books on TR cloth headgear, this is the only one that I am aware of devoted solely to Imperial Visor caps--however, this one deals with Cavalry only.

What it is are photographs of the collection of a man I would have like to have met, Robert Schiller, who (like myself), primarily collected visor caps. Unfortunately, our paths never crossed, as he passed away at the young age of 55 in 2005.

His friends realized his dream of completing something he was never able to do before he died, and that was publishing a book on visors.

The book has its pros and cons, but IMO, the pros outweigh the cons.
    The book is hardback, and all photos are in color, and all Cavalry visors are represented: Kurassier; Hussars; Uhlans; Jaeger zu Pferde; Dragoons; as well as the non-Prussian Kav regiments. There are period photos of the visors in wear, and a very useful appendix breaking down the caps by body color; band color; piping; cockade, etc.

The book is in the format of the old Bender books, so it is not the "coffee-table" size we have come to expect from Schiffer.
    There are only a few interior photos, and the photography quality is somewhat uneven in terms of lighting. Still, it is a must-have if one is going to be serious about the hobby.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear  
    Attached Images Attached Images Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear  Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear 

The next 3 books are large sized with loads of color photos, period photographs, and informative text.
    They do not focus exclusively on headgear, but there is plenty of headgear pictured.
    I cannot recommend them highly enough.
    (Be aware that, due to their size, weight and paper quality, they are expensive).

The first is a 2-volume set on Infantry Uniforms, 1871-1914 (the Dunkelblau era):

THE GERMAN INFANTRY FROM 1871 TO 1914
    By Ulrich Herr, Jens Nguyen. big oversize hardcover books with dustjacket and slipcase, new copy.

This two-volume, 864 page work gives the first complete and almost uninterupted picture of the development of the uniforms worn by the German Infantry, from the birth of the Empire in 1871 to the eve of World War I in 1914, with detailed descriptions and illustrations. Due to the huge array of headgear, uniforms and equipment, the book is published in two volumes with a slipcase, making it the largest publication from the Verlag Militaria to date. The two volumes illustrate the development of the uniform, starting with the Prussian Army, and covering the integration of the other contingents, the Saxon Army, the Wurttemberg Army Corps and finally the Bavarian Army, using around 1,600 colour photographs and 500 contemporary black-and-white photographs, with sources and newly researched archive material. Naturally, a work on this subject would not be complete without special units and elite formations, so the uniforms of the Jäger and Schützen are also included. For the first time, the publishing house and the Bayerische Armeemuseum in it’s function as editor were able to enlist the help of notable military museums in Germany who co-operated on the book. The Bayerische Armeemuseum in Ingolstadt, the Deutsches Historisches Museum in Berlin, the Wehrgeschichtliches Museum Rastatt and the Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr in Dresden opened their depots and allowed an unsuspected and largely unknown body of headgear, uniforms and equipment to be photographed. The use of these and other, private, collections made it possible, for the first time, to present an almost complete picture of the development of German infantry equipment and uniforms. Personal items of uniform owned by Emperors Wilhelm I and Wilhelm II, the Prussian Crown Prince, the King of Bavaria and other well-known persons, along with the headgear and uniforms of the common infantryman, are used to illustrate the splendid and colourful diversity of the German infantry regiments up until First World War. Also included are clear tables to guide the reader through the, seemingly complex, variety of infantry units in the various contingents. This superbly illustrated edition is not only a MUST for all military collectors; it should be in the library of anyone interested in this period of history. 2100 photographs and illustrations in full color. 864 pp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear   Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear  

This one covers the same era, but for Kavallerie units (and is my personal favorite).
    It is only one volume:

THE GERMAN CAVALRY FROM 1871 TO 1914
    By Ulrich Herr, Jens Nguyen. big heavy oversized book with dustjacket, new copy.

With its traditions and diversity the German cavalry represented the most colourful branch of service of the German Empire. To an extent never seen before, this 640-page, magnificently illustrated book shows the uniforms, equipment and armament of the entire German cavalry from the foundation of the Empire in 1871 to the eve of the First World War in 1914. Brilliant colour photographs give the reader a graphic and practically complete picture of the splendid headgear of cuirassiers, Saxon 'Schwere Reiter', dragoons, Bavarian cheveaulegers, hussars, uhlans and mounted Jäger. Numerous photographs of original specimens - from the Bayerisches Armeemuseum in Ingolstadt and supplemented by items from major collections - document the different branches of the service and the state contingents of the German Empire. The mode of wearing individual uniforms and items of equipment is illustrated by contemporary black and white photographs. Based on still extant sources such as clothing regulations or military decrees, the book endeavours to document modifications and alterations to different items of equipment over a period of 43 years. Not only the collector can learn a wealth of new aspects, the military historian can also gain a valuable overview due to the well structured and systematic arrangement of the book. with approx. 1,500 photographs and illustrations. 640 pp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear  

This volume covers the wartime Feldgrau uniforms of all KR units:

The German Army in the First World War.

Uniforms and Equipment 1914 to 1918. This superbly illustrated, 640 page volume presents, for the first time, a comprehensive picture of the uniforms and equipment of the German army in the First World War. More than 1,400 magnificent colour photographs illustrate the full range of clothing and insignia, from lowly private to lofty field marshal. This book includes not only detailed descriptions of all the garments worn in the German army during the war, but also of the special uniforms and insignia of each branch of service. This fascinating collection of photographs of original pieces is supplemented by 400 contemporary wartime photographs showing clearly how they were actually worn. Together, they illustrate the external changes in the German army between 1914 and the end of the war. The collection of the Bayerisches Armeemuseum in Ingolstadt was photographed for the first time for this book, along with some important artefacts from the Wehrgeschichtliches Museum in Rastatt. Despite the camouflage function of the field-grey uniform, it still reflected the structure of the German army. Big size, more than 1400 Color pictures, more than 400 black & white pictures. German text. 640 pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear 

These are coffee table books, being large format in size, and consist of headgear (visors & busbies), as well as every uniform piece a Husar could wear. They cover all of the Husaren regiments, and the photos are all in color (with the exception of the period photographs).
    If you have even a remote interest in the Imperial Husaren Rgts, I heartily recommend these books:
    Attached Images Attached Images Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear 

This was probably the first book that I ever saw that depicted KR visors in color (but if I recall right, there were only 4 pages devoted to them).
    It also covers some shakos and busbies, as seen here:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear   Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear  

Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear   Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear  

Resources on Imperial German Soft Headgear  
    Last edited by stonemint; 02-11-2016 at 08:54 PM.

?

Outstanding post friend.

Nice little site (in German) focusing on Cuirassier & Husaren uniforms:

Sturmpanzer

Nice site (in German) on the Cuirassiers:

Kürassier - Regimenter - Startseite