Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Kriegsmarine visor - opinions needed

Article about: I do not collect a lot of German WWI items because I'm afraid of getting ripped off. But I have a large US WWI collection and I would like to have some German items. I found this Kriegsmarin

Default WWI Kriegsmarine visor - opinions needed

I do not collect a lot of German WWI items because I'm afraid of getting ripped off. But I have a large US WWI collection and I would like to have some German items. I found this Kriegsmarine hat for sale. To me it looks to good to be true. The condition is excellent for something that is supposed to be almost 100 years old. However, I have an US Indian Service tunic that is in excellent condition because it was unissued so I don't want to pass on this hat if it is authentic.
    Thanks in advance for your opinions!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Kriegsmarine visor - opinions needed   WWI Kriegsmarine visor - opinions needed  

WWI Kriegsmarine visor - opinions needed  

Default Re: WWI Kriegsmarine visor - opinions needed

Soalebm...I do not like the look of this hat, sorry, it is not its condition, which can still be in very good condition, even for an item over 90yrs old !....it is its construction that does not look to be of the Imperial period, the peak in particular to me is wrong, on the underside I would expect to see a criss/cross pattern imprinted on a light coloured material, the sweatband is in my opinion, the wrong material (too rough looking!) and looks to be artificially aged/dirted, and the stitching too coarse, particulaly for an Officers, the quality is just not there....the badge to is just, well, lacking in detail. "Kaiserliche Marine" (German Imperial Navy) caps were topped in either white or blue cloth, the central band being 4cm wide and of a ribbed black mohair (similiar to a TR Luftwaffe cap) the black leather chinstrap being attached by small brass buttons bearing an "Anchor" design. The Officers badge could be fully embroidered or have a metal crown or cockade or a mixture of both, the badge was an oakleaf wreath in gold or silver enclosing a black/white/red cockade , engineer, medical, torpedo, ordanance,and line Officers had a golden wreath, paymasters a silver one. Warrant Officers/senior NCO's had a different cap insignia. I show a couple of photographs for some comparison. Compare the badge detail and general shape of the cap. I would pass on this cap.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Kriegsmarine visor - opinions needed   WWI Kriegsmarine visor - opinions needed  

Default Re: WWI Kriegsmarine visor - opinions needed

Of course another way to check if it is original...is to check out the sellers other non-original crap.
    WW1 IMPERIAL GERMAN UBOAT KRIEGSMARINE OFFICER HAT WWI on eBay (end time 18-Nov-10 23:00:51 GMT)