Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1832 German Hymnal

Article about: Recently my grandmother went through an old family trunk and found what we both think is a Evangelical/Protestant Hymnal printed in the early 1830s. The book smells ancient, and the leather

Default 1832 German Hymnal

Recently my grandmother went through an old family trunk and found what we both think is a Evangelical/Protestant Hymnal printed in the early 1830s.

The book smells ancient, and the leather is extremely old and has two leather/metal clasps to hold the book shut. There is no text on the spine, and even if there was, the leather is too decayed to tell. The front and rear covers are tooled with a design that resembles two union jacks on the top and bottom side of a large square with an X going corner to corner.

I entered the first page into google translate and came up with this, which has lead me to believe that it is indeed a religious book :

Gesangbuch zum gottesdienstlichen gebrauch für die evangelischen gemeinden in mecklenburg etrelis
    Hymnal for liturgical use in the Protestant communities in Mecklenburg etrelis

All of these pictures were taken with an 8 megapixel camera in my phone set to macro, so they are decent, but not stunning!
    1832 German Hymnal1832 German Hymnal1832 German Hymnal1832 German Hymnal1832 German Hymnal1832 German Hymnal1832 German Hymnal1832 German Hymnal1832 German Hymnal1832 German Hymnal

Default Re: 1832 German Hymnal

Here is a sideshot of the book that the uploader refused to take for some unknown reason.

Hi, nice peice of family history. i am no expert in german launguage but it looks like a ministers book of order for say birth,conformation,marrige's etc. No matter what the condition is keep it as once your family history is gone it's gone!!!

Quote by sunsetIE
    I entered the first page into google translate and came up with this, which has lead me to believe that it is indeed a religious book :

Gesangbuch zum gottesdienstlichen gebrauch für die evangelischen gemeinden in mecklenburg etrelis
    Hymnal for liturgical use in the Protestant communities in Mecklenburg etrelis
    Actually, it says Mecklenburg-Strelitz; but otherwise that's right: It's a song book for use in Protestant church services.

It was published at Neustrelitz in 1832 with he authorization of the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Actually, it says Mecklenburg-Strelitz; but otherwise that's right: It's a song book for use in Protestant church services.

It was published at Neustrelitz in 1832 with he authorization of the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.
    Forgive my poor ability at reading old german text, but i was quite close!

Excellent!