Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1905 German Uniform Identification

Article about: Great Grandfather on Mother's side, from Banzenweiler, Ansbach Bayern. Reverse has specific details on which colors for the tinting. Any ideas on army, region, rank appreciated. He would hav

Default 1905 German Uniform Identification

Great Grandfather on Mother's side, from Banzenweiler, Ansbach Bayern. Reverse has specific details on which colors for the tinting. Any ideas on army, region, rank appreciated. He would have been 20 years old.

?

I found this using my Bing Fu again.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_D...German_Empire)

With him being from Bavaria it might be
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XIII_(...temberg)_Corps
    And looks like they were put into the Prussian army

Which would tie into the other photo you posted and the Prussian Picklehaube on the table.

Semper Fi
    Phil

OK thanks, 13th division and that resource is helpful. This is a different Great Grandfather than the other picture I posted.

?

I edited my first post but since these are different GGF's either might help.

Cool family history

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

The 13 would represent his unit (Regiment or Battalion). Kgl. Bayer. 13. Infanterie-Regt. Franz Josef I., Kaiser von Österreich und Apostolischer König von Ungarn (Ingolstadt, III. Eichstätt) III Bayer. Armee Korps. Colors are a little off, uniform should be a little lighter blue and the 13 should be yellow. His rank is that of Musketeer (private).

Quote by aicusv View Post
    The 13 would represent his unit (Regiment or Battalion). Kgl. Bayer. 13. Infanterie-Regt. Franz Josef I., Kaiser von Österreich und Apostolischer König von Ungarn (Ingolstadt, III. Eichstätt) III Bayer. Armee Korps. Colors are a little off, uniform should be a little lighter blue and the 13 should be yellow. His rank is that of Musketeer (private).
    Thank you - Here is a copy of the picture without the color enhancement which may better show the lighter blue.1905 German Uniform Identification

?

This shows color difference between Bayern (viewer's left) and the other States.

Thank you; I believe this was Bayern. I can tell from the color notation on the back (in English) that the colorization tinting was done many years later in America, and the exact shades were certainly unknown to the artist.