Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1914 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse mm: K.A.G. /Unknown

Article about: Gents, Another facet of my collecting interest with Imperial Iron Crosses is obtaining the "been there" crosses. What I mean by this are the crosses that exhibit the worn in battle

Default 1914 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse mm: K.A.G. /Unknown

Gents,

Another facet of my collecting interest with Imperial Iron Crosses is obtaining the "been there" crosses. What I mean by this are the crosses that exhibit the worn in battle potential and that are dark, less than perfect condition and filled with character. Also, many have have tattered ribbons that could be filled with Eastern or Western front mud. Your mind tends to wander a little more to how these were obtained. Potential battlefield pickups? Who knows....

Here is potentially one such cross.

Regards,

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse mm: K.A.G. /Unknown   1914 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse mm: K.A.G. /Unknown  

1914 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse mm: K.A.G. /Unknown   1914 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse mm: K.A.G. /Unknown  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1914 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse mm: K.A.G. /Unknown
    P
    Many

?

Nice cross Joel. For me it's the same. I like the ones that look worn and 'used' so to speak. I love to think of the history and the pride that the original recipient must have felt when they worn them. One of my favourite imperial EK's (my first actually) is beat up a bit and has a real story to tell. I posted that one in Nov/Dec. Mind you there is a place for both Mint and used crosses.
    Wilko

Another beauty Joel, fascinating. Worn, but still, very good condition. Its really amazing how good these crosses were made. They stand the test of time.
    Best regards,
    Franko

Wilko,

Thank you kindly my friend. I'm glad you and I are on the same page. It bring the history a little more to life, so to speak. The pride of being awarded one and the circumstances one had to go through to earn one of these as well!

Joel

Franjo,

Thank you as well. They definitely are testaments to history!

Joel

Another nice cross Joel!
    This is another example of the oak leaves being more "full" as opposed to hollowed out.
    Here is mine.
    Ralph.

This one came with a ribbon that has 4 holes in it, they appear to be positioned so that it could very well have had a spange on it.

So, I tried one in place just to see what it would look like.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph,

I appreciate your kind words. Interesting difference with the oak leaves as well. I agree with your theory of a Spange was once attached. Now, there is a whole other realm of collecting. I'm jealous you have a spare to align the ribbon holes. Your cross is a stunner as well!
    I have one Spange attached cross in my collection and I'll have to take e look at the manufacturer.

Joel