Become our sponsor and display your banner here

1914 Iron Cross

Article about: Here is a family piece that my Grandmother gave me when I was 12 years old. Was awarded to my great-great Aunt's husband and she came to the USA after war as a widow, and that's really all I

?

Default 1914 Iron Cross

Here is a family piece that my Grandmother gave me when I was 12 years old. Was awarded to my great-great Aunt's husband and she came to the USA after war as a widow, and that's really all I know about it. So, fairly sure it's a real one, and wanted to add it here on the forum.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3577.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	742985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3575.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	742984  

a piece of sad family history,take good care of it.

?

Will do Harry, and sadly there is no one still here to add any details on this award...I should have asked more questions when I was younger.

Thanks for showing us your cross. It's great to have
    one with some family history.

It's a early cross with a cast iron core. It's in nice
    condition although it's too bad it's missing the ribbon
    ring and ribbon. If I had to determine the maker, I
    would guess that it was made by KAG.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I know first hand that it is always a rewarding to have something like this with family history.
    Thanks for posting Jeff.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thanks guys, and appreciate the possible maker ID there Greg - I looked all over it and could not see any markings. It's in what looks like an old jewelry box, I never saw any ribbon or ring even before I got it. Still old boxes of family pics to go thru and more stuff at the parents house...maybe I'll get lucky and find a picture or more info...never know . Agree Ralph, family items are special

?

I had some time during the Holidays to look thru boxes of old pictures. This is about all I may ever know or find at this point, but I feel good I know this much. The Iron Cross was Clara Weller's husband's, and she is center with glasses and hat - this is the only pic I have ever seen of her. Grandmother 3rd from left, she gave me this Iron Cross. My favorite and best Great Aunt in the front, I was her favorite too. My guess, late 1920s early 30s, mid-west USA.

Hope you like it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img102.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	792106  

At least you have a picture. My sawtooth bayonet came from a very
    dear family friend and I do not have a single picture of her.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Jeff,

This is no help regarding a complete family history but do you know you can check the German casualty lists online? You might at least see which unit/units he was in and also how often he was wounded and when killed Search results Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg

Great looking cross by the way.

Tony