Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1915 Pickelhaube

Article about: Hi there, new member and have been searching for a like minded group to post questions to for a couple of years now. I have been collecting for several years although drifted from relics at

Default 1915 Pickelhaube

Hi there, new member and have been searching for a like minded group to post questions to for a couple of years now.
    I have been collecting for several years although drifted from relics at the outset to better quality items as my interest in WW1 has grown.
    I have loads of questions but will contain myself.
    I have a 1915 Pickelhaube that I have some puzzling questions over. I picked it up from UK Militaria on-line shop last year and I have been struggling to find the missing pieces, or to establish what they are. I have no cockades or strap.
    The helmet has a blackened front metal visor trim, but nothing on the back. I can't see any holes in the body to show that there ever was a metal trim to the back visor piece, is this normal?
    My second query is related to the cockade and strap issue. The posts on both sides have no teeth present. I first thought that these had been removed, but on looking more closely the posts would appear to have threading to them indicating that the post may have been of two parts, again is this normal?
    I have tried in vain to find the correct cockades but cannot seem to find them that a) have the right size centre holes to go over the posts b) flat enough to allow them to sit on the side of the helmet (even though I cannot fix them as the post issue prevent this)
    I am assuming that the cockade sits on the post and the strap holds it in place by sitting behind the tooth?
    Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. 1915 Pickelhaube1915 Pickelhaube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1915 Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1915 Pickelhaube

Welkom to the forum; and don't hesitate to ask questions; that what friends are for!!
    Indeed back visor shouldn't have a metal trim!
    The post should have a theet and the cocardes do stay in place by the lug of the chin strap sitting behind the tooth.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Many thanks Stuka.
    I am now thinking that the post itself maybe at fault and needs to be replaced. I have read that there were so many "erzatz" type of helmets made in the transitional 1915 era out of whatever may have been at hand for production, that there are numerous versions. I have a selection of cockades and "spikes" that I have picked up whilst investigating so I can vouch for the number of variants out there.
    I am assuming that cockades were an essential part of the helmet furniture for identification, but is this also something that may have been left off the construction towards the end of the manufacture in order to make the helmet more versatile in issue?
    Thank you again, much appreciated.

Felt and iron where the other materials used for "Erzats" helmets, I don't think cockades were ever left off, for what ever reason.
    cheers
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

seigfried.....welcome to the forum ! sorry to say, and I take no pleasure in this, but I believe this Pickelhaube could be a fake. I would like to see better photographs, taken in better light therefore showing better detail, but from what I can see, I do not like it....the shape of the spike is wrong, the whole helmet has, either been painted or badly aged with heavy application of some sort of chemical agent...the source of the haube is also suspect, that dealer is well known in dealing in suspect items ! An original M1915 Pickelhaube had a removable spike, twist off bayonet type fitting, does yours ?
    All the metal fittings on an M15 were phosphate grey in colour having been treated so as to cut down glare. As for cockades, the haubes were made without these, they were issued in the company clothing store, then attached by the soldier, they were held on by the chinstrap .
    For more information on Pickelhaubes see this excellent site Kaiser's Bunker
    Prost ! Steve.

1915 Pickelhaube1915 Pickelhaubeoradour,
    Thank you for the information. Being that I knew nothing about the picks before making the purchase I am now getting the feeling that I may have bought a fake. Certainly don't be sorry for pointing this out.
    Makes me angry to have bought in good faith. Spike cannot be removed from the top. The vent holes are punched through rather than drilled or pressed out like the others that I have since picked up.
    The site has been closed down since the 31st December so if I wanted to go back to them to question the validity of this being an original I am going to have to trawl the internet for their alternative site.
    I will attempt to take some better photos to post, so anyone who fancies putting my out of my misery please feel free to do so.
    At least it may serve as a good reference point for others falling into the same trap as I may have done.
    thank you so much for the information it is very much appreciated.
    Only have Ipad to take photos so they are not that good quality - sorry.
    Siegfried.

All,
    just managed to locate the original email from the seller and the price I paid has just made me feel sick, very sick indeed.
    Siegfried - now feeling "sick-filled"

Hi,

Couldn't get any quality photos of the inside of the helmet, but I can see straight up into the body of the spike. It has a bolt holding the top of the spike in place, not screw attached.
    Are there any tell tale signs of replica attachments that I can try to establish?
    There are no date, or other markings under the leather flaps of the liner.
    I am now taking the whole thing apart in my study to investigate in more detail.
    Any pointers would be much appreciated.
    Siegfried.

Justed ajusted your pic's, that prevents me of turning my laptop to the left, to have a good look at your helmet!
    1915 Pickelhaube1915 Pickelhaube

cheers
    |<ris

seigfried, I am afriad it is indeed a fake......from what you state, the spike assembly is all wrong, its onstruction, attachment, the M91 chinstrap post shown is off centre, on an original it would be central, how is the Eagle front badge (Wappen) held on, it should be by "leather" wedges thro metal loops on the rear of the badge.....have you looked at the site I rcommended ? if not, you should........it will show you the construction and varients of the Pickelhaube. I have seen over the last couple of years these fake Pickelhaubes, appearing on e-bay, some are good, some are very good ! however they are not 100% correct. Another good site, Colonel J's has a good discussion page on fakes, see here.... Colonel J's - Articles - Pickelhaube Fakes and Doctor Jobs
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast