Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1916 Issued M16 Stahlhelm

Article about: This is going to sound really funny, but have any of you ever seen an M16 stahlhelm, that was issued in 1916, with it's original paint? The other day I bought an M16, size 64, off eBay with

Default 1916 Issued M16 Stahlhelm

This is going to sound really funny, but have any of you ever seen an M16 stahlhelm, that was issued in 1916, with it's original paint?

The other day I bought an M16, size 64, off eBay with the intent to restore it for re-enacting. The one I bought was cheap compared to all the others and based on the photos it appeared to be in bad shape. The color looked bad as well, almost as if someone was trying to paint it another color at some point.

It arrived today. The paint, over all is not in bad shape, it looks like it had been factory applied. The inside crown, however, looks like someone tried to repaint it using a brush. Other than the size mark there are no other markings.

What's got me going "hmmm..." is the over all color - it's a light field gray (Feldgrau). Most of the ones I've seen have a rather greenish hue instead of a gray hue. However, I've read that in early 1916 they were, at first, painted a light field grey color, I've just never seen one in person.

Do any of you know how light of a Feldgrau they were first painted in 1916?

I would hate to destroy a helmet that actually has the original 1916 Feldgrau still on it!

Could you all take a look at the pics and tell me what you think? The first couple of pics show it next to an M17 that still has most of it's paint. The M17's color is the one I've seen most, just in various shades of greenishness.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1916 Issued M16 Stahlhelm
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1916 Issued M16 Stahlhelm

Hi Correus,

I'm surprised you never received a reply to your thread, it must have slipped through the net? It's such an interesting subject paint and probably difficult to gauge from this period due to the lack of contemporary colour photography. It certainly looks the part!

What did you decide on in the end btw?

Cheers,

Ian.

?

Oeps, I didn't see this post, must have slipped through the net indeed...
    The word difficult is on its place here... The early M16 models had a shiny Feldgrün color, later M16 and early M17 models had a rather dull Feldgrün color. Late M17 and M18 models had a dull Feldgrau color. M18 ear cutout models had a felt (wollstaub = wooldust) camo in a green brownish color.

Hope this helps you, even when it's a late answer ...

Adler

?

Here are some pictures to compare...
    In the pics it's not so clear what is shiny or dull, but in hand the difference is very clear. As you can see, the M17 has a more vivant color than the M16, but that's only because it's near mint condition... Also colors from different makers could be slightly different

Adler

M16 (early) with Feldgrün color

M17 (early) with dull Feldgrün color

M18 with feldgrau dull color

M18 ear cutout with felt green brownish camo color

?

They sure are nice lids all.

?

Adler
    Everytime you post that cutout my jaw hits the floor wish you'd stop it.

Eric

ps it should come with a collector don't have warning its bad for my ticker.

?

Sorry to hear that your health is suffering , I posted these just to compare the different colors...

Adler