Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch RK

Article about: Just purchased a lighter - brass under steel? - does not work, but it does click - want to know what pat.ang.ges.gesch RK stands for. That is what appears on the bottom - scratched on the si

RubyJack
    ?

Default 1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch RK

Just purchased a lighter - brass under steel? - does not work, but it does click - want to know what pat.ang.ges.gesch RK stands for. That is what appears on the bottom - scratched on the side is the man's last name and 1918 and 42 div (I think). Any ideas? Thanks - I'm new to this site and would appreciate any info you can give me.

?

Default Re: 1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch RK

Hello RubyJack
    Please post photos of the item in question & you will probably get a lot more replies. I can tell you that ges.gesch is an abbreviation of
    gesetlich geschutzt , which basically translates as protected by law, registered, as for patent / design / trademark.

Regards
    Brett

As Brett already said, "GES. GESCH." is the abbreviation for "gesetzlich geschützt" and means "registered design". (Literally: "protected by law")

"PAT. ANG." stands for "Patent angemeldet" and means "patent pending" (Literally: "submitted for patent")

"R.K." would be a maker's mark, apparently for Richard Kohn of Vienna. (see old lighters and more )

RubyJack
    ?

1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch  RK1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch  RK1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch  RK1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch  RK1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch  RK1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch  RK1918 lighter - pat.ang.ges.gesch  RK

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Looks like a good little item. I am sure it could be made to work again.

If you are in the USA, I would be tempted to say the 42 Div refers to the US 42nd Inf Div (The Rainbow Div) and that the item could well have been taken from a German soldier?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The 42nd US Division was on occupation duties until well into 1919, so it could well have been purchased during this time

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    The 42nd US Division was on occupation duties until well into 1919, so it could well have been purchased during this time

Rob
    I prefer the more "romantic" image of taking it off a vanquished foe.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!