Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

1st Reich 1900 Photo

Article about: I have a photograph taken by W. Berger in Ban St. Martin - Metz., France. The photo is in perfect condition. The wording at the bottom of the photo is "Zer Erinnerung an die Reserve-Ubo

chandelier
    ?

Default 1st Reich 1900 Photo

I have a photograph taken by W. Berger in Ban St. Martin - Metz., France. The photo is in perfect condition. The wording at the bottom of the photo is "Zer Erinnerung an die Reserve-Ubond in Xete 1900 b.d.5. Corp. Jnt. Regt, 174."

My questions are . . . Is there any significance to this photo? If so, is it worth anything? Where would I find additional info about this photo, photographer, etc?

Please email me with any suggestions - brendamiller1119@sbcglobal.net. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Reich 1900 Photo   1st Reich 1900 Photo  

Default Re: 1st Reich 1900 Photo

Hello, welcome.
    The significance to this photo; is just what it says a remembering of his tour of duty...
    If so, is it worth anything? It sure is worth something, but to give you an exact figure is rather difficult.
    Where would I find additional info about this photo, photographer, etc?
    About the photo you could find it here. I 'll try to do so tomorrow.
    About the photographer, try google or look for a forum about old pictures , I am sure ther must be one.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

chandelier. The dedication reads, ' In memory of exercise at ???? in 1900, Reserves 5th Company, Infantry Regiment 174.' This was the 10th Lothringisches Inf-Regt Nr 174, garrisoned at Forbach, Strasburg, XVI Armee Korps. I am unable to read/decipher the name of the where the exercise took place, what you state as Xeta,i dont think its starts with an ' X ', (is it an 'F' ?). I suspect the exercise took place at a ' Major Training Ground ' in the Alsace Lorraine area. Metz is the capital of the Lorraine region, that at the time of the photograph, 1900, was in Germany not France, these regions were returned to France in 1918. Germany seized the provinces of Alsace-Lorraine, at the end of the Franco-Prussian war (1870/71). This type of photograph would of been taken as a souvenir of the time, usually by a local professional photographer, and re-sold to the soldiers either as a print (as you have) or a postcard. I shall try to locate the training grounds used by the XVI Army Corps and post, i suepect that will give us our unidentified place name.

chandelier
    ?

This is a huge help. The "Xete" could be "Tcete", "Ycete", or could even end in a "z" rather than "e" or "a". It is actually "'Ubung' in 'Xete'". The script is very difficult to decipher. The photo is 8 1/2" x 6 1/4" and is mounted on cardboard with the photographer's name and "Ban St. Martin - Metz." imprinted in gold at the bottom of the cardboard. Any chance of identifying (names) the men in this Company?

oradour is the right man to help you!!
    About the name, could it be "****"...?
    However I do not know how a Greek sea godess could get involved with infanterie soldiers...miles away from any sea..
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

chandelier
    ?

I do believe you are correct - ****, it is. I would never have figured out that one.