Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

5 place medal bar grouping

Article about: Hello, this bar is interesting having the combatant and noncombatant versions of the Hindy Cross. I was told that either the bar is messed with or the original owner of the bar had it added.

Thumbs up 5 place medal bar grouping

Hello, this bar is interesting having the combatant and noncombatant versions of the Hindy Cross. I was told that either the bar is messed with or the original owner of the bar had it added. I guess somebody could serve in both capacities during the war but I have never seen a bar with both awards on it. Opinions are appreciated on the bar and the grouping itself
    Thanks
    John

5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping5 place medal bar grouping

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 5 place medal bar grouping
    P
    Many

No more than one category of the 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz could be awarded to one person.

In the case of the combatant vs. non-combatant (Frontkämpfer/Kriegsteilnehmer) crosses, one could not really qualify for both awards, anyway. Slightly simplified: The former was for those who had actually participated in fighting, the latter for those who hadn't (having done all of their service solely in rear-area/homeland/occupation assignments). Either you had fought, or you hadn't.
    It was, however, possible to meet the criteria for one of these two categories and the one for the next-of-kin (Hinterbliebenen) cross, namely if anybody with wartime service themselves had lost a son who also served. In this case, the prospective awardee had to decide for which cross they wanted to apply.

Do notice, though, that in the above photographs, two different decorations are displayed on the last ribbon of the medal bar: The 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer, and the Kriegsdenkmünze für Kämpfer 1870/71. (The 1914/18 honor cross was modelled on the 1870/71 medal. It used the same ribbons as the older decoration and the cross itself was modelled on the medal's obverse design.)

The 1870/71 award in combination with the WW1 ones and the award documents here doesn't quite make sense, though. The documents do show that Seifried was a member of the Landsturm, i.e. the tertiary reserves which included the older reservists, but even that ran only up to 45 years of age. Any man who had fought in the war of 1870/1871 even a very young guy was already a sixtysomething in 1918.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 01-06-2017 at 03:26 PM.

I also notice that the last ribbon looks loose when compared to the rest.
    It makes me think that the ribbon might not be original to that bar.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.