Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Afghan find

Article about: Picked this up from an Afghan Bazaar in 2008......It's had a repair done to it using polly filler or something else similar. It has quite alot of the green paint left on it.....The holes on

Default Afghan find

Picked this up from an Afghan Bazaar in 2008......It's had a repair done to it using polly filler or something else similar. It has quite alot of the green paint left on it.....The holes on the side have me stumped though....some sort of re-issue badge ....but where from ? I picked this up with an M40 but at the time wasn't collecting so passed that one off to my brother...that had same two holes in the side too. Had to have it even though it had been repaired just for the souvenir.
    Thanks for any opinions.Dale
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Afghan find   Afghan find  

Afghan find   Afghan find  

Afghan find   Afghan find  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Afghan find
    P
    Many

Default Re: Afghan find

The inside
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Afghan find  

?

Great find.
    I didnt spot much worth bringing home in neither Kandahar nor Kabul.
    There were a few old English revolvers, but of course couldnt bring home any guns from there.

The Bazaar was good to have a butchers through though....but sellers always out to fleece the buyer but that was part of the fun.

?

I believe the afghans had a badge attached to the side of these helmets, hence the holes

here a pic of a afghan m18 they had new liners put in them after ww1 and repainted with badge on side
    Attached Images Attached Images Afghan find 

It looks to be an M18 helmet, either a size 66 or 68...there should/will be a maker mark on the inside of the skirt close to the visor, i.e. "ET66" and a rolling mill lot number on the inside of the crown of the shell, although these marks can be obscured by paint or rust build up.....
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    It looks to be an M18 helmet
    It is an Austrian M16/17 shell. M18 shells do not have the chinstrap rivets. The chinstrap rivets on this one's exterior are high up, as opposed to a German M16, which has the chinstrap rivets closer to the edge.