Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Amazing historical find WW1

Article about: Hello guys I managed to get these salty soldbuchs and the carrying bag from Germany from the original family for only 5 euros. Very salty variations, really. But nicely filled, and pretty su

?

Default Amazing historical find WW1

Hello guys

I managed to get these salty soldbuchs and the carrying bag from Germany from the original family for only 5 euros. Very salty variations, really. But nicely filled, and pretty sure they're both from the same owner, from what I can read.

Can anyone provide some more information on these and maybe 'translate' the words for me, though I'm able to speak German, I can't read the handwriting.

Here is number one:

Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Amazing historical find WW1   Amazing historical find WW1  

Amazing historical find WW1   Amazing historical find WW1  

Last edited by Gimmie; 12-21-2015 at 02:03 PM.

?

Sorry if some of the pictures are the wrong way! It will take a long time to go through every picture and edit them manually.

The second one and a picture of the entire set together:

Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1

Oh, and by the way, I know its frowned upon, but what would you value this at?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Amazing historical find WW1   Amazing historical find WW1  

Amazing historical find WW1  
    Last edited by Gimmie; 12-21-2015 at 02:11 PM.

?

Quote by Gimmie View Post
    Sorry if some of the pictures are the wrong way! It will take a long time to go through every picture and edit them manually.

Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1Amazing historical find WW1

Oh, and by the way, I know its frowned upon, but what would you value this at?
    If possible.. Better pics may be necessary ... The ones you have portrayed are neck breakers... Close straight on shots that resemble actually being able to view in the first hand... Just my two cents... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by Gimmie View Post

So, it will take you too much effort to turn the photos, but you want someone to take the time to translate them when they are all sideways for you?
    Good luck!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    So, it will take you too much effort to turn the photos, but you want someone to take the time to translate them when they are all sideways for you?
    Good luck!
    Ralph.
    Merry Christmas Ralph... And a Happy New Year of posts from you !!
    Thanks for all you do... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Merry Christmas Ralph... And a Happy New Year of posts from you !!
    Thanks for all you do... G
    Thank you Gwar.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hello,

I found an easier way to do it online so I went through all the pictures and replaced them with ones that are upright.

If you want to look at it upclose, click on it once, it will open it in a new window, you can then zoom in on it once again by clicking on it again.
    Hope this helps!

-Bas

?

Hello,
    there are some information I managed to decipher from these solduchs. Not everything, I fear, but it hopefully gives you at least some basic overview until someone more skilled in German will help you with the rest.
    Best regards, Pavel

Soldbuch Nr.1:
    Richard Schulz was born on 2 September 1886 in Dortmund (in Wickede borough). His parents were Karl and Minna (diminutive of Wilhelmina, née Ortmann) Schulz, the father worked as a merchant and already passed away before the outbreak of the war. At that time Richard Schulz was still single. Unfortunately, I can’t decipher what his profession was. He already went through compulsory military service in 1906 when he served by 3rd Company of the Train Battalion (Garde-Train Bataillon) of the Prussian Guard Corps. He was quite tall for his time (175 cm) and of lean build with blonde hair and beard. There is not much to tell about his military career though. It seems that he served by Feldlazarett (field hospital) No. 8 of the Prussian Guard Corps in the rank of Private First Class and survived the war.

Soldbuch Nr. 2:
    Wilhelm Franz Schulte was born on 14 February 1894 in town of Erwitte as a son of day labourer Fritz Schulte. As for his civilian life, Wilhelm Schulte was still single and worked as an assistant in a “freezer room” (I am not sure whether it is a right term, in original it is called Kalthaushelfer). He was 162 m tall and of lean build with blonde hair.
    Schulte was drafted into the army in summer 1915, to the 3rd Company, 1st Reserve Batallion of the 57th Infantry Regiment, to be precise. However, from December 1915 till February 1916 stayed in several hospitals (Mühlhause, Konstanz) due to health problems with catarrh. It seems that after his release Schulte was transferred to a different unit: the 5th Company, 1st Reserve Battalion of the Fusilier Regiment Nr. 39. His further fate remains unclear as I can’t find any other entries after February 1916.

?

Quote by Pavel View Post
    Hello,
    there are some information I managed to decipher from these solduchs. Not everything, I fear, but it hopefully gives you at least some basic overview until someone more skilled in German will help you with the rest.
    Best regards, Pavel

Soldbuch Nr.1:
    Richard Schulz was born on 2 September 1886 in Dortmund (in Wickede borough). His parents were Karl and Minna (diminutive of Wilhelmina, née Ortmann) Schulz, the father worked as a merchant and already passed away before the outbreak of the war. At that time Richard Schulz was still single. Unfortunately, I can’t decipher what his profession was. He already went through compulsory military service in 1906 when he served by 3rd Company of the Train Battalion (Garde-Train Bataillon) of the Prussian Guard Corps. He was quite tall for his time (175 cm) and of lean build with blonde hair and beard. There is not much to tell about his military career though. It seems that he served by Feldlazarett (field hospital) No. 8 of the Prussian Guard Corps in the rank of Private First Class and survived the war.

Soldbuch Nr. 2:
    Wilhelm Franz Schulte was born on 14 February 1894 in town of Erwitte as a son of day labourer Fritz Schulte. As for his civilian life, Wilhelm Schulte was still single and worked as an assistant in a “freezer room” (I am not sure whether it is a right term, in original it is called Kalthaushelfer). He was 162 m tall and of lean build with blonde hair.
    Schulte was drafted into the army in summer 1915, to the 3rd Company, 1st Reserve Batallion of the 57th Infantry Regiment, to be precise. However, from December 1915 till February 1916 stayed in several hospitals (Mühlhause, Konstanz) due to health problems with catarrh. It seems that after his release Schulte was transferred to a different unit: the 5th Company, 1st Reserve Battalion of the Fusilier Regiment Nr. 39. His further fate remains unclear as I can’t find any other entries after February 1916.
    Thank you for the information! Where did you find it?

?

Hello, all these information come from various entries in the soldbuchs.
    In general, the first page is dedicated to basic biographical info on the holder of the soldbuch: date and place of his birth, names of the parents and father’s occupation, occupation of the holder and his family status as well as his religious faith. The second page then provides a brief physical description: height, build, type of face, hair and beard color and any other significant traits. Many of the other information included in the soldbuch are related to different vaccinations, treatments in hospitals or accounting details of soldier's pay. In Richard Schulz’s soldbuch is also inserted a small card which confirms that he has the right to wear a Red Cross symbol on his left arm sleeve, being under the protection of the Geneva Convention of 1906.