Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Austrian M17 Camo for Opinions

Article about: From what I've read and know the Austrians for the KUK used whatever they could to assemble their helmets. This one is an Australian Vet bring back but I'd wish to know more about it. It has

?

Default Austrian M17 Camo for Opinions

From what I've read and know the Austrians for the KUK used whatever they could to assemble their helmets.
    This one is an Australian Vet bring back but I'd wish to know more about it.
    It has no markings which is common and if it does have they'd be externally which is now covered with paint.
    It has none of the usual metal rings around the liner leather holes.
    It has the German pickelhaube chinstrap lugs albeit I know the Austrians adapted their own holder to these (see last image).
    I have no concerns with it's legitimacy as this stage but I would like some questions answered within my head
    Oh and it's huge, probably a 68 or bigger.
    Would anybody know how big these get?

Austrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for Opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Austrian M17 Camo for Opinions
    P
    Many

I don’t know a lot about Austrian helmets but I have read that apart from the M16 Berndorfer model which were made to size 68, the other manufacturers only made their helmets up to size 66.

?

I can't find a lot on actual sizes other than this image below.
    It's definitely not a 66

While the camo does look old I’ve noticed some paint over pits/deterioration on the outside of the shell. Perhaps this may be due to the original paint surface having deteriorated somewhat in service prior to the camo application? I get a feeling that the pads aren’t original to the shell as they show different wear and ageing to the rest of the shell.

Austrian M17 Camo for OpinionsAustrian M17 Camo for Opinions
    Last edited by AndyM35; 06-15-2019 at 09:31 AM.

This screenshot if from the German Helmets Inc site.

?

I noticed that too particularly in the brown however from the images particularly in the brown it's a build up of paint imo

I think Jim (helmet2id) would be able to give you some great information if he see’s this post.

I can see what you mean about the buildup of paint Wayne and I think you may be right. I certainly think the paint has age to it and if period would be a lovely camo to display

?

I'll wait patiently for others opinions as I do like it.

As I said prior Andrew I'm not concerned with the camouflage paint as such but rather why some of it is put together the way it is.

When I look at camos with a vibrant yellow I look for a red pigment as the yellow with age will become somewhat transparent and this has that. If you can imagine what a green leaf goes through in it's season which will sometimes turn to red then yellow........ some paints have a similar process according to the light & temperature they're in and of course the quality of the paint.
    It doesn't look like it had a lot of use but rather poor paint that has literally fallen off over the years and applied somewhat haphazardly. The paint also appears somewhat 'chalky', well the yellow anyway.
    But by no means am I talking myself into this.

Definitely wait for consensus and I’m not saying it not original but was curious about the pits but I think your comment about the thickness of the paint is very valid. It’s certainly a very nice colour scheme with a slightly artistic flair.

What you wrote about the way colours change is very interesting Wayne. I’ll post up a photo of the cover of one of my books that has what I think you are describing in regards to the yellow.

By the way, the book is Vol 5 of a 5 vol set with each year of WW1 having its own volume. It covers the amazing collection of the late Michael Baldwin and includes lots of images of period camos. If you love patina then this book has it. I have vols 3 -5 and will purchase 1 & 2 shortly. The photos and descriptions are a fantastic way of learning about Imperial German Militaria.

Last edited by AndyM35; 06-15-2019 at 09:33 AM.

I'd have the same concerns with Andy as to this one. The over painting of earlier flaked paint and the liner appears to be an aged repro, doesn't give me any confidence this is a 100 year old camo. The paint also lacks the sheen from decades of greasy hands and is quite matt which also leads me to think recent paint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast