Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Authentic?

Article about: Please advise if this looks to be authentic or a reproduction. Any additional information about it is appreciated. It's approximate value? I am attaching a picture of the pickelhaube shield

Aug
    ?

Default Authentic?

Please advise if this looks to be authentic or a reproduction. Any additional information about it is appreciated. It's approximate value? I am attaching a picture of the pickelhaube shield as it had been worn on a pickelhaube but I do not have the helmet. I only have the shield. Can anyone tell me what the center designs mean?

Authentic?Authentic?Authentic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authentic?
    P
    Many

Quote by Aug View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the center designs means?
    It's the coat-of-arms for the Kingdom of Bavaria in the form used from 1832 to 1918. See:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Bavaria

On the scroll is the motto of the Kingdom of Bavaria and its Wittelsbach rulers, as also found on the belt buckles of the Bavarian Army: "In Treue fest"; roughly translated: "steadfast in loyalty" or "firm in fidelity".

I cannot comment on authenticity or value. (Allow me to remark that we have a policy of not doing valuations, anyway.)

Aug
    ?

One of my first posts. I will not be asking for values on anymore items. Sorry.

?

Your Wappen (helmet plate) is Bavarian as stated, but is missing the crown that would be above the shield. Note that yours does not have the wreath on it that the one on the helmet has. Generally this wreath was dropped from the plate by the time of the war. I would also say that yours is an officer's going by the spaces cut out on the lions crowns and the method of attaching the plate to the helmet.
    As to the missing crown; there couple be any number of reasons for this. One maybe that after the revolutions of 1918 some removed the Crowns to show there was no longer a monarchy. Another maybe that it just broke off.