Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Badge/medal Fur Schlesien and unknown badge

Article about: Hi everyone! I need help with these two items. The eagle order was bought for 10 pounds from a pawnshop and the badge for 1 pound at an auction. So I have not paid that much. But I need help

Pansa75
    ?

Default Badge/medal Fur Schlesien and unknown badge

Hi everyone!

I need help with these two items. The eagle order was bought for 10 pounds from a pawnshop and the badge for 1 pound at an auction. So I have not paid that much.

But I need help in identifying them both. I suspect the badge could be a regimental badge but I´m not certain.

The eagle order is unknown territory for me. Is it real or fake? I´ve seen all kinds of these in different "variations".

I´ll appreciate all help I can get!

Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fur Schlesien.jpg 
Views:	1157 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	112349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fur Schlesien baksida.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	112350  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Okänt märke 1.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	112351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Okänt märke 2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	112352  

Default Re: Badge/medal Fur Schlesien and unknown badge

Both are original.

The Silesian Eagle 1st class comes in several formats. I have a 2nd class version in my collection which is suspended from a ribbon. Now you have a name for it will be easier to research. Google it

The second is a Veterans pin of some kind.

Cheers, Ade.

By the way, £10 was a bargain!

Here is my 2nd class version.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Pansa75
    ?

Thank you for the quick reply! I will continue google around for info. I bought it without any expectations, now it will take it´s proper place in the collection. It seems it is still possible to make a bargain.

Your 2nd class order with ribbonsuspension sounds like a beautiful piece.

Thanks again Ade

Pansa75
    ?

Wow that was a nice one indeed! It has a wonderful finish to it! And how it is made out of three pieces, was that common in these orders?

Yes I guess it was a bargain. I have a big smile on my face right
    now!

Pansa75, £10... i'll say it was a bargain!...as Ade has stated 1st class Order of the Silesian Eagle, these medals are not strictly 'Imperial', a Freikorps award, for participation in defence of Silesia along its border with the newly formed Polish state in 1919. Instituted 16/6/1919. Two classes, 1st class for 6 monthsservice, 2nd class for 3 months service. This was one of the few Freikorps awards to be allowed to be worn on uniforms during the Third Reich period. The other badge is indeed a veteran association of the 13th Infantry Regiment, 'Infanterie-Regt. Herwarth von Bittenfeld. (1 Westfalisches) Nr 13, garrisoned at Munster, and was part of VII Armee Korps. It would of been worn on civilian clothing, jacket lapel etc.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

These awards were made by different makers and can be found in many different versions, so the construction method varies.

Cheers, Ade.

Pansa75
    ?

Hi

Thanks Oradour for the information. It is always exciting to get some new insight in this field. It was very helpful indeed. I looked up the regiment and what I found was really interesting I must say. Thanks again

And the different makers of the Silesian order should be registred somewhere. But if most of them, if not all, is unmarked it must be a difficult work to do. But interesting. I really liked yours Ade, beautiful!

Thanks for the help guys, you have made my day!

Janne

?

My Order of the Silesian Eagle 1st Class is White enamel on silver. Is it just a different version or is it a jeweler copy ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Members who have read this thread: 3