Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Bargain Pickelhaubes....in 1919!

Article about: Gents, in this section of the forum Picklehaubes are shown and discussed with frequency, and during a couple of the discussions the referance to "Liberty helmets" has been mentione

Default Bargain Pickelhaubes....in 1919!

Gents, in this section of the forum Picklehaubes are shown and discussed with frequency, and during a couple of the discussions the referance to "Liberty helmets" has been mentioned, I thought I would try to illuminate further the subject, i'll start with this piece in order to put some 'flesh on the bones' so to speak !...............

Friday Feb 7, 1919 THE STARS AND STRIPES newspaper, Page 1, Column 1: "85,750 Shiny Ones on Way to American
    Prussian Guards' Helmets will help sale of Liberty Bonds.
    The doughboy guards at Coblenz who kept the keys to the German warehouses where 85,750 Shiny Prussian Guards helmets were stacked are restored to good nature. They eat normally, and no longer dream of great helmet robbery mysteries. For the helmets are out of their custody at last and on their way back to the States. The warehouse keys arent't needed any longer. The helmets are to be handed out back home to buyers of bonds of the Fight Liberty Loan.
    Meanwhile, traders on the AEF souvenir bourse are eagerly watching the tape for the first transatlantic quotation on Helmets, pfd.
    Word of the 85,750 helmets in one buiding leaped back through the AEF almost before the advance guard of the Third Army settled in Coblenz. Mails from the rear areas of the AEF to the Army of Occupation grew unaccountably large. Every man in the A of O had from six to 60 friends whose latest letters always said after speaking pointedly of lugers and mausers and iron crosses: "And of course I am relying on you to get one of those 85,000 helmets for me."
    The pressure of visitors to the warehouse grew so strong that the chief salvage officer at Third Army Headquarters posted a big sign: No More Helmets Given Out." (The citation was found by Keith Gill.)..........

It would appear that quantities of these helmets were shipped back to the States (U.S.A.) where they were awarded as prizes by the Federal district commitee in the "Victory Liberty Loan "campaign. They were given to Victory note salesmen making the best selling records under the compitition in counties and cities across the U.S.A. and to these areas biggest investors/buyers in the scheme.
    These helmets come up frequently for sale on auction sites, usually eminating from North America, they are desirable, as there condition is often pristine, with no wear or tear evident, but on a downside (for me) is that most lack any regimentals, just sporting mm and size. As you will see in the accompanying photographs, all types of helmets were found and sent back to the U.S. including all models of Pickelhaube, Tschapka, Tschako's and all manner of metal cavalry helm.

Footnote:- According to the diary of one Draper Dewees, US V Corps HQ,1918:
    "I have found out what the war is about; France is fighting for 'La Patrie'; England is fighting for commerce; Italy is fighting to get a slice of Austria; America is fighting for souvenirs!"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bargain Pickelhaubes....in 1919!  
    Attached Images Attached Images Bargain Pickelhaubes....in 1919! 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bargain Pickelhaubes....in 1919!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Bargain Pickelhaubes....in 1919!

It would have been nice if a family menber would have bought some.If I remenber correctly they were sold for 1.50$ depending of with one you were buying.

That is just amazing...$1.50! how i wish that some of my relatives would have bought some of those!!

Thanks Steve,
    Interesting article. When I was looking to buy my spike, I
    found several of these on ebay. If I remember right, a lot
    of these war bond helmets are found with mismatched parts or put together wrong .
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Thanks Steve,
    Interesting article. When I was looking to buy my spike, I
    found several of these on ebay. If I remember right, a lot
    of these war bond helmets are found with mismatched parts or put together wrong .
    I have not hearded of that but it could be?

It was explained to me that most of the helmets were in really
    good condition but that part of the shipment was of incomplete
    helmets and they were finish assmebled here in the states.

I remember finding more than one that had the large metal reinforcment disk (sorry I don't know the correct name) that is usually on the inside of the helmet, mounted under the spike on the outside of the helmet. I wish I would have saved the pictures.

this is the disc I am taliking about.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bargain Pickelhaubes....in 1919!  
    gregM

myself around.

I think ,it is great to know that the helmet came from that big sell.like that you do know some history about the helmet .

Mine did not come from the sale. I did not want one that
    was from missmatched parts so I stayed away from helmets
    that were advertised as war bond helmets or ones that were
    unmarked.

The one pictured is from the 25th Infantry regiment, 15th
    reserve division, IX corps.
    gregM

myself around.

[QUOTE=Chopperman;174896]It was explained to me that most of the helmets were in really good condition but that part of the shipment was of incomplete helmets and they were finish assmebled here in the states. I remember finding more than one that had the large metal reinforcment disk (sorry I don't know the correct name) that is usually on the inside of the helmet, mounted under the spike on the outside of the helmet.QUOTE]

Gregg is quite right .... the most common identification of a 'Liberty helmet' is not just its lack of regimentals or its condition, but this wrongly placed disc (never would of been done back in Germany!), although not all helmets in this batch were devoid of regimentals (unit marked).

?

again you have a realy nice picture with a neat history!!