Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battle Damaged Camo Helmet

Article about: Hi guys , a question often asked my many of us when we get hold of a rusty or relic type lid is do ya clean it or leave it as it is , i personaly take each helmet in this condition on its me

Default Battle Damaged Camo Helmet

Hi guys , a question often asked my many of us when we get hold of a rusty or relic type lid is do ya clean it or leave it as it is , i personaly take each helmet in this condition on its merits .Heres one such lid i picked up from the states a few weeks back , i could make out the camo paint but thought a good clean would bring the colours back to life , so here she is before and after , i left the inside pretty much alone just soft brush to get surface rust off , cheers Raymond
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1765.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	73186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1767.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	73187  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	73188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	73189  

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	73190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1772.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	73191  

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	73192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1787.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	73193  

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	73194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1792.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	73195  

Name:	IMG_1793.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	73196  

Default Re: Battle Damaged Camo Helmet

Hi Raymond,

I prefer them as is, but we each have our own preference. I feel that since these are nearly 100 years old, I prefer to let it look the part and age gracefully. That is part of their "charm".
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Raymond,

I personally like what you have done with this helmet, I in no way think it detracts from the "originality" of the item. I understand about leaving items alone, but it is a personal thing, and in this instance I like it. I wouldn't clean decorations, except obvious loose dirt, but making something more presentable for display like this helmet

What did you use to bring out the paint?

Cheers,

Spence

Hello Steven , and Spence , thanks for your comments and points of view , as i said in my post we all have different views as to the cleaning of these items .
    Steve , i know exactly what you mean and generaly i do just that , but the odd patern , the colours and the fact its the the first ww1 camo i have , i just had to clean her a little
    Spence , i to think its bought the lid back to life , but on the other hand , i have another i got a few weeks back , battle damaged , and still with dried mud in the lugs , this one i didnt touch at all , ill post it here soon.
    As to cleaning the outside , well i know it sounds horrific but its a drian cleaning product called Drian Opener , made in the states , it eats up dirt and crime and doesnt effect the paint , iv used it a bit on some of my ground dug relics , works very well . thanks guys , cheers Raymond

Fantastic job mate..... i like the left as is look ordinarily but with this paint scheme lurking underneath you have done the right thing!!
    Shes a beauty!!

Relic helmets dont get much better than this, you have made a great job cleaning it even if it isnt to everyones tastes

Thanks

Danny

Hi Raymond,
    what a great buy it,s a lovely helmet you have a real good lid there.
    I would have brought out the colours on it as well, i think it brings out the best of the helmet. and a small size helmet to, i need one for my collection i have the larger size at the moment.
    Well done.
    dave.

Thanks guys , im realy pleased with this lid , it was the first time i had a chance to own a ww1 camo , i got it realy cheap from a nice guy on another forum , had it for sale at $295 US , i thought id be a cheeky bugga and made him a real early offer with all i had spear at $155 US (New Zealand with postage $236 ) he said yes , i was over the moon, Cheers Raymond

?

Outstanding!

Adler

TRT
    ?

And it is the M18 pattern with remains of carbine clip chin strap buckle. Re restoration, I would have left it but it is your helmet and your choice. I respect that.

TRT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast