MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battle Damaged Camo Helmet

Article about: Hi guys , a question often asked my many of us when we get hold of a rusty or relic type lid is do ya clean it or leave it as it is , i personaly take each helmet in this condition on its me

Default Battle Damaged Camo Helmet

Hi guys , a question often asked my many of us when we get hold of a rusty or relic type lid is do ya clean it or leave it as it is , i personaly take each helmet in this condition on its merits .Heres one such lid i picked up from the states a few weeks back , i could make out the camo paint but thought a good clean would bring the colours back to life , so here she is before and after , i left the inside pretty much alone just soft brush to get surface rust off , cheers Raymond
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle Damaged Camo Helmet   Battle Damaged Camo Helmet  

Battle Damaged Camo Helmet   Battle Damaged Camo Helmet  

Battle Damaged Camo Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle Damaged Camo Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Battle Damaged Camo Helmet

Hi Raymond,

I prefer them as is, but we each have our own preference. I feel that since these are nearly 100 years old, I prefer to let it look the part and age gracefully. That is part of their "charm".
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Raymond,

I personally like what you have done with this helmet, I in no way think it detracts from the "originality" of the item. I understand about leaving items alone, but it is a personal thing, and in this instance I like it. I wouldn't clean decorations, except obvious loose dirt, but making something more presentable for display like this helmet

What did you use to bring out the paint?

Cheers,

Spence

Hello Steven , and Spence , thanks for your comments and points of view , as i said in my post we all have different views as to the cleaning of these items .
    Steve , i know exactly what you mean and generaly i do just that , but the odd patern , the colours and the fact its the the first ww1 camo i have , i just had to clean her a little
    Spence , i to think its bought the lid back to life , but on the other hand , i have another i got a few weeks back , battle damaged , and still with dried mud in the lugs , this one i didnt touch at all , ill post it here soon.
    As to cleaning the outside , well i know it sounds horrific but its a drian cleaning product called Drian Opener , made in the states , it eats up dirt and crime and doesnt effect the paint , iv used it a bit on some of my ground dug relics , works very well . thanks guys , cheers Raymond

Fantastic job mate..... i like the left as is look ordinarily but with this paint scheme lurking underneath you have done the right thing!!
    Shes a beauty!!

Relic helmets dont get much better than this, you have made a great job cleaning it even if it isnt to everyones tastes

Thanks

Danny

Hi Raymond,
    what a great buy it,s a lovely helmet you have a real good lid there.
    I would have brought out the colours on it as well, i think it brings out the best of the helmet. and a small size helmet to, i need one for my collection i have the larger size at the moment.
    Well done.
    dave.

Thanks guys , im realy pleased with this lid , it was the first time i had a chance to own a ww1 camo , i got it realy cheap from a nice guy on another forum , had it for sale at $295 US , i thought id be a cheeky bugga and made him a real early offer with all i had spear at $155 US (New Zealand with postage $236 ) he said yes , i was over the moon, Cheers Raymond

?

Outstanding!

Adler

TRT
    ?

And it is the M18 pattern with remains of carbine clip chin strap buckle. Re restoration, I would have left it but it is your helmet and your choice. I respect that.

TRT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast