Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse

Article about: Although admittedly a rather common decoration, I hope these examples of the Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse [Bavarian Military Merit Cross III. Class] are of interest. The Bay

Default The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse

Although admittedly a rather common decoration, I hope these examples of the Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse [Bavarian Military Merit Cross III. Class] are of interest.

The Bayerischer Militärverdienstorden [Bavarian Order of Military Merit] including the Bayerisches Millitärverdienstkreuz [Bavarian Military Merit Cross] was instituted by King Ludwig II. [he of Neuschwanstein fame...] on 19 July 1866, hence the presence of the "crowned L" monogram on the crosses' obverse and the year 1866 on their reverse.

The third and final model of the Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz was instituted by King Ludwig III on 22 December 1913, which is when the third class seen in this thread was created. Substantial numbers of this cross were awarded during WWI. (Although he would not wear it later, even one Adolf Hitler was among the recipients...)

Note that the court-mounted medal bars as well as the ribbon bar and multiple-ribbon lapel bow in the last two photographs also appear in my ongoing Ehrenkreuz thread in the 3rd Reich awards section [see: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...enkreuz-72201/ ]; but I thought it would be appropriate to feature them in this sub-forum as well.

First, we have a two-place medal bar with the the BayMVK3 mit den Schwertern [with the Swords] and the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer 1914-18. Here, as well as in the other bars seen in this post, the ribbons are mounted in the classical Bavarian style:

A two-place medal bar with the the BayMVK3 mit der Krone und den Schwertern [with the Crown and the Swords] and the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer 1914-18.
    Interestingly, like the first bar, this one also has the ribbon for the Bavarian Long Service Decoration used as backing material, which makes me wonder whether they originally came from the same workshop. (They were purchased from two different dealers.):

A three-place medal bar with the 1914 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse, the BayMVK3 mit den Schwertern and the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer 1914-18.
    With some heavy patina and wear, this one is clearly showing its age:

Two unmounted examples of the BayMVK3 mit den Schwertern.
    They were clearly made by different manufacturers. One has a deformed suspension ring:

Finally, the ribbon for the BayMVO/BayMVK as it appears on a 5-place lapel bow, 1-place lapel bow and 4-place ribbon bar:

As always, comments are welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse
    P
    Many

Default Re: The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse

The Bavarian military merit is a very underrated award imo.
    I think its also one of the best looking awards.
    I wil be picking one up hopefully within the week, here are some photos of it.

Hi,

I like it too !
    I just got my first one the other day, on this 3er spange !

Mfg
    Marc

Ps I like yours with the box an all :-)

Default Re: The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse

Thanks Marc,
    it has the stamp in the box for a deschler.

And two more.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse   The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse  

Regards,

Steve.

?

I have a couple of these myself & they display very well. The only problem so many of them & I haven't a clue as too what is what??. Cheers Terry

?

I thought I would show my 2 crosses if that is okay?? Cheers Terry.The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseThe Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseThe Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseThe Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseThe Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseThe Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseThe Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseThe Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse

Also featured over on my Ehrenkreuz thread, here's a recently acquired miniature bar, made with 15 mm miniatures and ribbons and neatly constructed just like a full-size medal bar.

The wearer was a Bavarian enlisted man, decorated with the Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse mit den Schwerten [Bavarian Military Merit Cross with the Swords], the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer [Honor Cross for Frontline Combatants] and the Bavarian Dienstauszeichnung III. Klasse [Long Service Award III. Class] for 9 years of service.

Obverse view:

Obverse view with the bar turned upside down and the medals flipped over to show the reverses:

Reverse view:

Together with one of the previously-shown full-size medal bars to illustrate the size:

Excellent Thread! Thanks for sharing the great photos and information gentlemen!

The different classes and various makers of this Bavarian cross & order make for a very interesting subject matter to collect.

Best Regards,

Alan

?

The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseThe Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseVery nice crosses, here is my...The Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. KlasseThe Bayerisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast