Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Blucher Medallion/Table Medal of Unknown Vintage

Article about: This medallion is a so-called "table medal", but I wonder as to its exact age and purpose. It's 3 3/16" in diameter and 3/16" thick at the rim. (The high relief bust make

Default Blucher Medallion/Table Medal of Unknown Vintage

This medallion is a so-called "table medal", but I wonder as to its exact age and purpose. It's 3 3/16" in diameter and 3/16" thick at the rim. (The high relief bust makes it thicker in the center than at the edge.) I believe it to be made of iron, struck for commemoration of the Feldmarschall's visit to the city. Around Blucher's portrait it reads, "Dem Fürsten Blücher von Wahlstatt die Bürger Berlins, im Jahr 1816". ("Given to Count Blucher of Wahlstatt by the Citizens of Berlin in the Year 1816" - the year following his victory over Napoleon at Waterloo.) Wrapped around Blucher's shoulders is the lion skin (with paws attached) of Hercules, and the standing bear symbol of the city of Berlin is on the tiny shield at bottom.

Most amusing in this design, on the reverse is a standing angelic-winged Germania wearing a helmet adorned with an Iron Cross, whose spear is pointed at the throat of a writhing Demon with the face of Napoleon. Around the rim are the dates 1813 - 1814 - 1815 representing the campaigns of Germany (Battle of the Nations/Leipzig), France, and Belgium (Ligny/Waterloo) respectively, all instances where Napoleon was bested by Blucher's Prussians.

My question about this is WHEN it may have been made? It looks too good to belong to the period which it represents, yet seems too well-made to be a recent reproduction. (It couldn't be too recent anyway, since I got sometime in the 1970's!) I thought however it might be an Imperial restrike of some kind, possibly for the centennial of Waterloo in 1915. (Sorry for the indifferent quality of the "photo"; I scanned it!) Any information or thoughts on this would be most welcome!

Blucher Medallion/Table Medal of Unknown Vintage Blucher Medallion/Table Medal of Unknown Vintage

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Blucher Medallion/Table Medal of Unknown Vintage
    P
    Many

I can't provide any answer, but allow me the observation that the winged figure is clearly not the Germania, and the cross on the helmet is not an Iron Cross.

This is the Archangel Michael.

Someone else suggested Michael and that makes sense; the cross with its equal arms suggests to me more of an Iron or "Greek" - or Maltese with its flared ends - than a usual Christian cross though.

imo it stands a very good chance of being original to the period,no other reason to copy it I can think of.