Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Books on Imperial German Headgear

Article about: I'd like to pickup some reference books on Imperial German Headgear, specifically Pickelhauben. I can't seem to stop thinking about them (in a non sexual way of course) and I'd like to start

?

Default Books on Imperial German Headgear

I'd like to pickup some reference books on Imperial German Headgear, specifically Pickelhauben. I can't seem to stop thinking about them (in a non sexual way of course) and I'd like to start collecting, but of course do not want to get burned.

These are the books I had planned on purchasing, but of course would like to hear other suggestions:

Spiked Helmets of Imperial Germany: Volume I and II

Imperial German Military Officers Helmets and Headdress 1871-1918

Also, any suggestions on reliable dealer sites that offer authentic pieces to look at and somewhere down the line purchase?

My first goal is to purchase a variation with a Wuerttemberg Wappen. Of course, if anyone on here is in the market to sell or trade one, I'm also open to that!

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Default Re: Books on Imperial German Headgear

yuengling325, I shall compose a list of books tommorow, and PM you, I am just off to bed !...I have an early start...I think, rather than try to obtain one of the less common Pickelhaubes, like a Wurttemburg one, you would be better off purchasing one of the more common haube, say an Infantry M15 Prussian Pickelhaube, they are more plentiful and bargains can be had..approx $200-300 on E-bay, $350-400 with a dealer.....there are plenty of fake Pickelhaubes, bad and good, it is good that wish to obtain books for reference, I shall give you some dealer sites.....please post prospective purchases for evalueation.
    Prost ! Steve.

Default Re: Books on Imperial German Headgear

Eric, heres my list of IMO some of the best books on Imprial Headdress.

I use these sites for books, (there are others just google 'Books')... Amazon @ www.amazon.co.uk (or U.S.equivalent) or Abe books @ AbeBooks Official Site - New & Secondhand Books, New &Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books ....

1) first a good start for the beginner, an old book but a good one, "Helmets and Headdress of the Imperial German Army 1870-1918" by Col R H Rankin.
    2) "The Pickelhaube" Vol 1 and 2 by J A Bowman.
    3)"Imperial German Headgear, Field Guide" by J D Turinetti and A O'Connor.
    4) "Spiked Helmets of Imperial Germany" Vol 1 by R Trawniik (Vol 2 is mainly photographs, so I cannot recommend).
    5) "Imperial German Military Officers Helmets and Headdress 1871-1918" by T N G Stubbs.

There are others, but these are IMO the best. I will PM you with some dealers that I consider to be trustworthy and truthful. I have sent you a PM with a short list of dealers.

Hope that helps, Prost! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 08-13-2010 at 03:47 PM.