Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Boot knife or Kitchen Knife?

Article about: Hey guys, scored this on Ebay for cheap the other day, is it a boot knife or just a cool kitchen knife? Apparently it was an "estate find", ie, estate sale from a vet, and it has a

?

Default Boot knife or Kitchen Knife?

Hey guys, scored this on Ebay for cheap the other day, is it a boot knife or just a cool kitchen knife? Apparently it was an "estate find", ie, estate sale from a vet, and it has a crown imbedded on the handle, seems pretty likely that it is a military item rather than just Oma's favorite Messer, but thought I'd check with you guys. I can take some better pics when I have it in hand. Also, the little guys with the anvil look like the Henckel logo, thoughts?Boot knife or Kitchen Knife?Boot knife or Kitchen Knife?Boot knife or Kitchen Knife?Boot knife or Kitchen Knife?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Boot knife or Kitchen Knife?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Boot knife or Kitchen Knife?

I think it is, or was a 'Chefs' knife, and it could have been cut down or re-worked
    for use as a combat/utility knife, as this was not uncommon. If the blade is
    rather thick it might have been used for that purpose.

If the blade is thin and bendable, perhaps it used to be a regular-everyday
    kitchen/bread knife. It is not a Henckels though, IMO.................
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I do not think is was made as any type of combat knife. The presence of a guard and the clip point make it look more like a hunting or sportsman's knife. Just an opinion.

?

Thanks guys, you both bring up excellent points, I think you're right too, it probably wasn't intended as military, but I have a suspicion that it might have been used that way, hence being picked up by a GI. I think I might get some answers when I can see the brass buttons up close and can better see what the figure is holding. Any thoughts on the crown? Looks like it was added later to me, maybe a bored Prussian cook/hunter decided to spruce up his blade a little bit? It doesn't quite look like a Prussian crown either. Weird but cool piece for sure

Easy, guy´s, have a look in here:

les poignards *

Here´re very nice, Imperial German knive´s, seen at this interesting site:

les poignards et couteaux de tranchées *

poignards et couteaux de tranchée
    Last edited by Reibert; 05-19-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Wow...Excellent site! Some of those knives just make the hair on your neck crawl! And they were Not ornamental at all! Brrrrrr! Incredible knives,though! lol William

?

Thanks Reibert! It seems like they even made holders for knives that were not regulation. I agree with walkwolf, if the blade is thick enough it's totally possible that it was used in trenches as well.

?

Here's some more of the same thing, Butcher's knives apparently.
    Great War Militaria - Great War Militaria