Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Bugger........

Article about: My father in law just informed me he has a M16 shell, that he unfortunately gave to a friend before he knew of my interest in such things....he had it for years, originsl paint the lot.....h

?

Default Bugger........

My father in law just informed me he has a M16 shell, that he unfortunately gave to a friend before he knew of my interest in such things....he had it for years, originsl paint the lot.....he has since gone back to his friend to get it back and give it to me.....

Unfortunately his friend has removed the liner and striiped the paint, repainted it gloss black and binned the liner!!!!!!!!

Bugger....no photos as yet

Default Re: Bugger........

Why people still do such things is something I'll never understand, quite sad really that this has happened are you going to attempt to restore the helmet?

Thanks

Danny

?

I'm certainly going to accept the shell in any condition.....gloss paint is coming off......then I will have to do done research into what I will restore it too....there is a very good company in America that makes repro liners for these using period german sewing machines.......it's too far gone now to rescue any of it's own history, so will restore it to period correct condition for WW1....

I won't do anything like make it an SS transitional or the like!!!!

Kinda makes you want to give the friend a good swift kick in the......

?

Well it was given to him because my father in law knew he had an interest in such things.....unfortunately his interest was paintball and not collecting......father in law is gutted, because he knows now I would have looked after it......I dont see him much, and he didn't realise I collected helmets! So when he first saw my helmets, he said he could get the other one back for me, when he saw it he nearly cried.....but I asked him to get the shell, and I could see what I could do

well at least the friend was decent enough to give it back and it will now be in caring hands.

?

I think a careful restoration back to WW1 configuration is on the cards.....will be a nice helmet to display